1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time incubating*The eggs are in the Oven!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by skyangel, Nov 25, 2012.

1. skyangel

skyangel Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2012
    PA
    No their really not in the oven. But I made an incubator from a CAKE CARRIER! I received my eggs at 930am Nov 24 2012. I have just set them 1200am Nov 25th. My incubator has been on and tested for over 24 hrs before egg arrival. It's maintained a temp @99.7F /62% humidity. (after adjustments). So here we go! ( I did not enter the contest, this is just a learning experience)
    [​IMG]

I will monitor the temp/humidity in 4 hour increments for the first 24 hrs to make sure all is well. And at 8am/4pm/midnight hours I will turn the eggs. I did not mark them because I didn't want the marker ink to go through the shell into the egg...its a personal choice. These eggs are: 2 barred rock, and 4 black Australorps. I hope they are hens! hahaha. My pipping date should be: December 16th.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    LOL, that's a really cool incubator, I hope it works out....

3. skyangel

Aug 28, 2012
    PA
    Me too! I researched so much stuff that people were using and I thought ....well I just may get lucky on this. Hope not to have wasted my money and lose the eggs. Im confident, at least I try to be.

4. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    You can use pencil to mark them. It wont rub off like under a broody. And very interesting design.

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    I wouldn't bother checking in four hours after setting. It will likely take longer for the environment in there to stabilize.

6. skyangel

Aug 28, 2012
    PA
    Thank you! I'm so worried the humidity is to high. I have to figure out this candeling thing too check them in a week.

7. skyangel

Aug 28, 2012
    PA
    Thank you Kstaven, I'm sure your right, and good advice.

8. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    People new to hatching often try to adjust incubators too soon. So the thermal mass introduced hasn't stabilized. Thus the temp drops. Then they crank it up. Then as the mass stabilizes the temp climbs too high. So they crank it down. Now it gets too cool and the mass(eggs) need time to warm. It becomes a viscious circle that can drive a person nuts.

The same can be said for humidity. It will swing with the introduction of eggs.

9. skyangel

Aug 28, 2012
    PA
    whats the chances of them being all roosters?

10. skyangel

Aug 28, 2012
    PA
    Ok, great advice Kstaven, I'll be a good girl and watch from a distance lol. Your being very helpful, and I thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by