First time incubating, think all my eggs are clear

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by missnu01, Mar 16, 2013.

1. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    It's day 5 of incubation, and it appears as though all the eggs I can see through, are clear....I kept them at an even temp and turned them when gathering them...It took 3-4 days to gather all 10 eggs...but they were kept around 60 degrees for the storage days...I have only 3 laying hens, and 2 roosters and a young cockerel...
    I have one old White Rock rooster that is the only one I see doing the deed. I see the others try, but they are both very small, and 2 of the hens are large, either way the white rock doesn't let them near "his" hens.
    When I eat my eggs I check to see if they are fertile, and they look to me as though they are...but all the eggs appear clear. I don't have a really good light, but I can see the yolk on most of the eggs, but no lines at all in the ones I can see through. So what could be the deal here? I am using a brinsea 20 eco, and the temp appears to stay steady at 100 degrees...with 20-30 percent humidity. Although the humidity was a little high for a couple hours...around 50 percent....47 to be exact. Anyway somebody help me out here please....

2. 3BirdGirlz

3BirdGirlz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Montana
    Could be fertility. Give it a couple more days though. I have a brinsea and love it. I've had a batch of eggs stay clear and worried i did domething wrong, but the next batch all developed...so I figured it was fertility because my incubator has been working great. Get a good candle light, but you should see some veining by day 7. Are they dark eggs? That makes it harder. And make sure you're turning them. Other than that I'm not sure how to help.

3. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    I am turning the eggs...I would guess it has to be some fertility issue. I just figured with 3 roosters and only 3 hens it wouldn't be terribly hit and miss...perhaps my big old roo is infertile. Because like I said he's the only one I ever see be successful with a hen...I swear the eggs I eat look fertile. The eggs in the bator don't look the same as the ones in the fridge...the ones in the fridge are totally clear, the ones in the bator I can see the yolk, or what looks like the yolk, but no veins or anything like that.

4. 3BirdGirlz

3BirdGirlz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Montana
    Give it a few more days. If nothing crack one open. That's what I did on my first hatch ever to make sure I was candling correctly. And the ones I thought were clear truly had no development. Made me feel not so crazy:) then I would try again beings you have your own supply of eggs...when you get a developing egg, a light will go on in your head an say "Ohhhh now I see what it's supposed to look like!"

5. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    I've had these chickens for awhile...I just can't believe all the eggs are infertile...I guess I'll pen up the big rooster and see if the smaller roos can get the job done without him interfering...I really want to be able to hatch eggs...I'll give them a few more days and then open one and see what's in there...
    If they are infertile then I guess I'll just collect some more and give those a shot...If after that still nothing then I will be doing a changing of the roosters and my big fella will become some nice chicken jerky...if he's too old and tough for us to eat, I know the dogs will enjoy him. He's really old...and the most awesome pet rooster ever, but really he doesn't seem to be very good at being a rooster. He doesn't really watch the hens, he does mate them, but if that's not doing any good then I don't want to keep feeding him, even though he keeps the silkie roo from attacking me, and he follows me all over the yard like a big puppy. I love him, but can't justify feeding him if he's adding nothing to the flock...I hope this was just a fluke of some sort, or something I have done wrong...If tomorrow I post some pics of eggs I'm about to eat can you guys tell me if they are fertile or not? I totally thought they were, that I was seeing the ring, but now I am obviously not so sure...The eggs aren't clear, I can see the shadow of the yolk, and it seems to move around in the egg. It isn't in a fixed position. The air cells are, but not the yolk shadows, which is all I can see...what a letdown. The only eggs that look like they might have veining are super brown and hard to see through, but it looks like there might be a few lines in them...Either way, I'll take some pics tomorrow of some open eggs from the same chickens so someone can confirm or disparage their fertility for me for sure. Because I apparenly don't know.

Another question...the eggs in the incubator don't look like the eggs that I just collected. I candled one right after gathering it...it is totally clear, no shadow in it...so perhaps that means something? Maybe? Can anyone tell I am fishing for hope...?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  6. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Give it a few more days. I know its hard but leave the eggs alone till day 10 -12 then candle again. I don't have a really bright lite for candling and have trouble seeing veins at day 7 but if they aren't really clear I leave them in the bator. The batch I'm cooking right now are darker eggs and I could only see veins in 2 eggs at day 7 out of 20. I'm also using an eco 20 And have 18 hatched with one zipping and one pip. By day 10 the infertile eggs will be clear and the eggs developing will be a lot easier to see.

7. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    Thank you for the hope

8. Callmommy31

Callmommy31 New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    Hello everyone! I am a new member to this site, but have been reading the threads for over 2 weeks now. I have to say this is the ONLY site I would use for information and assistance with hatching call duck eggs. After much searching and a lot of loss, we finally got the hang of it, and in the last 4 days, we've hatched 4 new babies, and one is in the process of hatching now!! We are so excited! We originally had 11 eggs, and were reading anything and everything we could find, but it all was SO conflicting. Finally, I found these threads and it completely walked me through my hatches! I've used multiple different recommendations and finally found the process that works best for me. We wait for our babies to pip, then we gently pull back the egg and outer membrane so the baby is sure to have air. It is then placed back into the incubator and monitored closely for hours on end. Little by little (every 2-3 hours) I would remove the egg and gently pull back the SHELL ONLY, wet the membrane with a clean Qtip and water, and check for veins. If it was clear, I would use tweezers to pull that back, and would do as much as I could before placing it back into the bator. This process continued until the large end of the egg was completely removed (end, NOT top half!) and then I would wet all the surrounding membrane with water and the baby would b placed back to finish on his/her own. This has been successful 4/4 times now, and I cannot imagine NOT helping baby calls anymore. Now obviously, this is personal preference, and you have to do what is comfortable for you, but it's the ONLY thing that worked for me. 1 of our babies was very eager to push it's bottom half out, and he had a small yolk sac attached. I gently wrapped him in wet paper towel and placed him back in the bator. Within 4 hours, it was completely absorbed and he was assisting 2 others in hatching!! I want to say thank you to the Silkies website, as this is the one main that finally helped me get healthy happy babies!! We have Grey calls, and our babies are black and yellow, solid yellow with some browns, and solid yellow with some black......I LOVE them!! Again, a special thank you to this site for giving me what I've been working towards for 2 months now!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

9. Drapery Mary

Drapery Mary Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    I threw out my first batch of 27 cuckoo marans eggs due to infertility. The next week I started adding in other eggs with them and I now have 3 of the cutest little chicks you could ever imagine (or at least they are to me) Here is a pic of them https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ts-blue-copper-marans-over-black-jersey-giant

So I know everything is working properly inside the bator. But I'm still hopeful for the cuckoos and I keep adding them in hoping a fertile one will show up eventually. In the meantime, two bators still going and the mutt chicks keep developing...

It will happen for you too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by