first time incubating were on day 23 and still no chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by naya69, Sep 26, 2011.

1. naya69

naya69 New Egg

Sep 26, 2011
    hi me and my boyfriend purchased an incubater off ebay and some eggs we have our own chickens at home but wanted a few more.

we turned the eggs 3 times a day and locked them down on day 18 but were on day 23 and still they havent hatched the eggs keeps twitching and have been doing this for around 4 days so their still alive i guess.

so last nite my boyfriend like a wally cracked open one of the eggs that havent moved and it was a fully formed chick but was dead so he says altho the yolk sac was still on the outside.

anyone with a bit of help would be great is it common for the chicks to go over the 21 day rule??

2. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Eggs do sometimes go past 21 days. (that would depend on how stable your temps were) It it were me I would take a flash light to the top of the egg and check for movement. You should also be able to hear them in there peeping. I usually hatch on day 20 but I run my bator at 100.5.

3. amosygal

amosygal Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    Quote:If temperature is too low, humidity is too high, or the eggs are old the hatch could take longer. BUT if they have been rocking for four days and didn't pip I think this is a bad sign and they might need help. I'll leave this to the experts in the forum to help out...

4. naya69

naya69 New Egg

Sep 26, 2011
    Still no signs of hatching haven't heard any moment from them how can I help them out do I crack the shells?

5. CakePrincess21

CakePrincess21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2011
    i have same problem my sister was staring them and sees some twitch..some are old eggs that i had for almost a month others were fresher. I candled and they were all moving and none are stinky plus my temps havent been too stable that much going from 95 to 104. any advice. [​IMG]

to help them if you go on some threads i hear to make a hole where the air bag is but gently peel away see any blood stop make sure u have a wet paper towel and once u reach membrane put a flashlite and see if its moving.
    YOU CAN ONLY DO THIS ONCE ITS INTERNALLY PIPED!! BE SUPER CAREFUL!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by