First time incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lindsey0572, Nov 2, 2015.

1. lindsey0572

lindsey0572 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2015
    Missouri
    Well tonight I'm borrowing my sister in laws hovabator it has a auto turner and I've got 2 dozen eggs coming and 20 of my own I don't think mine will hatch very well cuz I only have one rooster and he is young but we will see hope I can get some baby chickens I'm going to do the dry method I read on here. So does anyone else have any advice thank you :) the baby chickens are going to be Christmas presents so I've got 2 shots at this

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Make sure you have accurate thermometers in the bators. Never trust bator gages or unchecked thermometers. And [​IMG]

If you have questions along the way, just ask, and usually you'll get a few opinions. [​IMG]

3. lindsey0572

lindsey0572 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2015
    Missouri
    . Thanks I bought a thermometer with a hygrometer on the bottom of it just in case I do have a question about eggs the lady I'm getting the eggs from her eggs are covered with poop and stuff kind like she don't clean her nest boxes do I need to clean the eggs and if so how

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    There's mixed feelings about washing or what to use if you do. Many believe in brushing/scraping off what you can and just not setting the filthy ones, (easier said than done if they are shipped though.) There are products out there that some say can be used to wash eggs safely, I can't tell you the name of the products, I've never had to deal with dirty eggs.

5. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Best not to set dirty eggs. If you wash them it removes the ' bloom ' from the shell and allows bacteria to penetrate . If you put them in the incubator dirty , you are providing the perfect environment for the bacteria in the poop to multiply.
    At most , I would wet a bit of paper towel and remove the worst of it. The other alternative would be to source eggs from someone else. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by