First time incubating!

teresami

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2015
This is my first time incubating eggs and I'm having a very hard time keeping my humidity where it should be. First off any suggestions?... and my eggs when candled seem to be on track but I read somewhere to be worried about there air sac development.; it's only day 7 can I fix this?

Where is your humidity at? If your air sac growth is slow then your humidity should be lowered. Some here at BYC incubate dry first 18 days. Personally I run 30-35% humidity those days then up to 70-75% for last few days. Found that at that humidity the air sac growth is right on track. With house humidity at 30% it takes a double shot glass of water set next to the egg turner to achieve 33% in incubator. Humidity is changed by changing the surface area of water in incubator. For hatching 70% RH it takes two coffee cups set in incubator for me.

Note: The 7 day air cell I never achieve. Think these charts are off or they used old eggs. 10 days looks more like day 7. The rest are good.

Last edited:
Where is your humidity at? If your air sac growth is slow then your humidity should be lowered. Some here at BYC incubate dry first 18 days. Personally I run 30-35% humidity those days then up to 70-75% for last few days. Found that at that humidity the air sac growth is right on track. With house humidity at 30% it takes a double shot glass of water set next to the egg turner to achieve 33% in incubator. Humidity is changed by changing the surface area of water in incubator. For hatching 70% RH it takes two coffee cups set in incubator for me.

xs 2. I prefer 30%, and can usually maintain that completely dry if I am hatching in late spring/summer. Fall and winter I have to add a wet sponge to keep it right around 30% I am usually on track with my air cells, even at day 7, but I don't really worry too much about the size (unless it's extrememly small or big) until days 10-14.

Thank you! and I ran it dry for the past few days and have seen some major strides in my air sac development... hopefully its going to be enough (hatch day is April 8-9!)

And it begins!!! Thanks so much you guys!

So my days may have been one off... I'm not sure now but...
Yay!! Congrats. Temps will affect when they hatch as well. If you have a slightly higher temp you can see action a day or two early. A slightly cooler temp for the incubation will delay it by a day or two. Hot and cool spots in the bator will also affect individual eggs and the chick's development.

Back
Top Bottom