First time incubating

Stonewall Acres

Songster
Feb 19, 2019
Alberta, Canada
I have a brand new incubator & I was wondering if I should clean it before it’s first use. This will be our second time hatching eggs, but the last time I borrowed a friends incubator, and she had cleaned it before lending it to me. I am just wanting to make sure that I give them the best start possible. What do you hatching pros do? I am so excited, I am picking up the eggs tomorrow. :wee

I have a brand new incubator & I was wondering if I should clean it before it’s first use. This will be our second time hatching eggs, but the last time I borrowed a friends incubator, and she had cleaned it before lending it to me. I am just wanting to make sure that I give them the best start possible. What do you hatching pros do? I am so excited, I am picking up the eggs tomorrow. :wee
i just take what parts I can and wash them in the sink in warm soapy water and since well. What ones I can't wash I use a kitchen bleach spray or wipes to make sure there are no germys. Prob ably not as important if it's new. But after hatch there's that yucky stuff that comes out of the egg with the baby:sick. Good luck and be sure and post pictures.

Your main concern is whether it is sterile or not. Bacteria in there is bad, but a new one should be sterile. I generally wash a new pot before I cook in it, not because it's dirty from germs but because there is sometimes a powder from the manufacturing or packaging. I'd clean it from that aspect but do not use dirty water or dirty sponges or cloths.

Get that incubator running as soon as you can so you can check that it is running correctly. If you can, confirm the temperature is correct using a calibrated thermometer.. I don't know how yours handles humidity but see if you can familiarize yourself with that.

Much more important than cleaning the new incubator is to keep the eggs as clean as you reasonably can. Wash your hands before you handle them, especially removing any oils. Dirty eggs are more likely to introduce bacteria.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom