first time incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by koda55533, Jul 26, 2011.

1. koda55533

koda55533 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2011
    I just bought an incubator off of ebay today and it comes with an egg turner, a fan, and vent pluggs, I have never incubated befor and would like to try it is there any tips anyone can give me about what I should do? I'm a little confused about humidity can someone let me know what I should do? any help would be greatly appreciated!![​IMG]

2. djennings

djennings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Sabine Pass, TX.
    Where are you located? Turn your incubator on, get the temp set closet to 99.8 as possible, then start playing around with the humidity.

3. chickens? not yet

chickens? not yet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Kingman, AZ.
    Quote:Welcome to you!! You can find so much info on this site, just have to look around and read read read! I have made a homemade bator bought hatching eggs, and am in lockdown right now, just by reading on this site!! It is wonderful!! Good luck to you and if you find something you don't understand ask someone will know how to answer you!![​IMG]

4. koda55533

Feb 19, 2011
    I am located in South Eastern Wisconsin, how do you measure humidity?

5. djennings

djennings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Sabine Pass, TX.
    I went to wal-mart and got one for about $8.00 it is a thermometer and humidity.

6. okiedrifter

okiedrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    find a room that stays the same temp and out of the way of everyone including the kids.....kids like to touch and the tiny touch of little fingers can cook an egg....then let your incubator come to temp once it settles and stays at 99-100 for 3-4 days you are ready for eggs.... start with some local cheapo eggs and try your luck....these will be your first...did you get a turner? if so then you dont have much to do for 17 days except keep an eye on the temp if you didnt...then with a pencil write abc around your eggs and 3 times a day turn your eggs first to A then in about 8 hrs to B 8 hrs later to C then 8 hrs later to A for 17 days on the 10th day you can candle them..to check for fertilty.. on the 17th day quit turning them and wait

7. koda55533

Feb 19, 2011
    yes I did get a turner because I would not always be around to turn them every couple of hours. I will be incubating some of my own chickens' eggs, that being said should I pick certain eggs, like what size and shape would be good? I have Buff Orfingtons, Barred Rock, Amarucana, and a rhode island red. and what is the humidifier thing called exactaly so I know what to look for. Thanks for the help by the way from everyone!

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It is exciting when you start. You might read this article from Texas A&M. It will probably help.

Texas A&M Incubation site
    http://gallus.tamu.edu/library/extpublications/b6092.pdf

Then a couple of links on the thermometer and hygrometer.

Rebel’s Thermometer Calibration
    http://cmfarm.us/ThermometerCalibration.html

Rebel’s Hygrometer Calibration
    http://cmfarm.us/HygrometerCalibration.html

Pick eggs that are clean. Dirty eggs can lead to bacteria getting in the egg. Trusy me, you do not want that.

Pick eggs that are somewhat normal in size. Avoid really small or really large eggs for the breed. Try to avoid any with cracks. Shape does not really matter.

9. koda55533

Feb 19, 2011
    Quote:wow! thank you so much all of these were very helpful!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by