First time incubating....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by redhawknc1, Oct 13, 2012.

1. redhawknc1

redhawknc1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2012
    Just purchased a GQF Sportsman 1502 Incubator with Humidity System for my 56th Birthday last week. Will be setting my first eggs next week. Any suggestions on what I need to know in general. First timer mistakes and such...Glad to be on the forum and posting.[​IMG]

2. SilverDuck284

SilverDuck284 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    South Carolina
    My only suggestions are to have your 'bator running at least a week before setting eggs. If its the first time using it, you might have to tweak it some and that's best done without risking eggs. Plus, once you are sure its keeping steady temp it will take a bit of worry away. Second, after setting eggs, open it as little as possible. You must resist the urge to candle your eggs every other day! That was the hardest part for me. =]

Good luck! Happy hatching!

SD

3. redhawknc1

Aug 7, 2012
    First eggs should be here this coming Thursday. I started the incubator with the Humidity Kit (Bucket, hose, float valve) and am planning on monitoring it until the eggs get here. Some Dominique and some Silver Laced Wyandottes. So, I want to do this perfectly. Trying to read all I can about hte incubator and incubating in general.

4. redhawknc1

Aug 7, 2012
    well, have a digital hygrometer on the way​

5. redhawknc1

Aug 7, 2012
    and still have the incubator running and monitoring for temp and humidity

6. redhawknc1

Aug 7, 2012
    Also, looking for the concise version of what should happen during those 21 days

7. redhawknc1

Aug 7, 2012
    Code:
    played with the candler and calibrated all 3 thermometers

8. redhawknc1

Aug 7, 2012
    Sold 4 golden comets to make room for 15 dis to grow out in, customer was an incubator junkie that had 3, 1 was mahogany... Nice conversation!

9. redhawknc1

Aug 7, 2012
    Well it is Monday AM. Eggs to arrive this week!
    Currently my Sportsman 1502 is reading 99.9 on 3 different thermometers. Both holes on the back are open and the hole on the side is open. The humidity control hole with flap is closed. I have the humidity tray with 1 GQF sponge and have a wet bulb reading of 68%. Am I ready to set the eggs when they arrive? Set eggs pointy side down in tray 1 for 1 week. Move to 2nd position on week 2 and 3rd on week 3. Put eggs in hatcher tray on day 19 and raise humidity a bit. Am I on the right track. Really getting excited!

10. SilverDuck284

SilverDuck284 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    South Carolina
    you need to let shipped eggs rest for 24 hours before you put them in. I dont know what you mean by positions. Eggs should be turned 3 times a day so the membrane of the embryo doesn't stick to the shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by