First time incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cozadfarm, Dec 29, 2012.

1. cozadfarm

cozadfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2012
    My turkeys have just started laying. How do I know If they are fertile and how many days do I have to get them in the incubator?

Any help would be great.

2. CluckAcres

CluckAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    If they just started laying they may not be fertile. I take it you seen your Tom get ahold of your hens? If he did get her and its her first time then you could expect your egg tomorrow to be fertile or even could be the next day. You have a few day to get the eggs in incubator as long as they are kept at room temp. Dont put them in fridge.

3. cozadfarm

Nov 9, 2012
    Have to share. I am so excited. Today is day 11 of incubation. I candled my eggs. One is questionable but will candle again in a few days but I definitely have chicks in the other 3. I know 4 isn't a lot of eggs but I wanted to start small in case it failed. Can't wait to see my turkeys hatch!!!

4. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    So happy for you! Waiting for the hatch is hair pulling exciting! Congrats on your babes!

(PS If you post a pic of the "questionable" egg on this site you might find an answer to whether it is fertile or not... good luck!)

5. DayOldChicksNY

DayOldChicksNY Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2013
    New York
    If you keep them in like a basement setting where the temperature stays cool but doesn't freeze them, about a week is okay. Just to collect enough eggs, to put into the incubator, although the longer there not in the incubator and not under the turkey, the less chance you may have at hatching them. You would have to candle them to know if they are fertile. Heres some more information about hatching turkey eggs.
    The incubation period for turkey eggs is 28 days.
    Incubation Temperature

The temperature in the incubator for turkey eggs is 99-99.5 degrees fahrenheit.
    Humidity Levels

The humidity level (wet bulb thermometer) for turkey eggs is 83-86 degrees fahrenheit.
    Final Day Of Egg Rotation

The final day of egg rotation for turkey eggs is day 25.
    Please note that all of this information is only a guide and that this information may differ according to the incubator manufacturer’s guide.
    Always consult the manufacturer’s guide when using an incubator and automatic egg turner.

Hope this helps you :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013
  6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    AWESOME!!!! YAY!!

7. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Yay how exciting, keep us updated

8. cozadfarm

Nov 9, 2012
    Candled my eggs this evening and I have turkeys in each egg. So excited but nervous. Since this is my first hatch I'm so afraid of doing something wrong. We are day 15.

9. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    WHOOT Good job [​IMG]

10. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    How cool!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by