First Time Incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jnkfarms, Mar 8, 2014.

1. jnkfarms

jnkfarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    My first time incubating eggs besides when I was a small child. I have 20 in an incubator and just candled them after 7 days and looks like only 2 are bad. So excited and so are my kids.

2 people like this.
  2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    congratulations. When are they due? I'm planning to set on the 14th.

3. jnkfarms

Mar 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    They are due to start hatching the 21st. I just hope they wait till I'm home to start lol. I want to watch my first one at least.

4. jnkfarms

Mar 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    What kind are you setting?

5. jnkfarms

Mar 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    Well I candled them again tonight just to double check what I did yesterday... Still appears that only those two were bad, so I pulled them out and put them in a ziploc bag. Closed my eyes and cracked them open. Don't know what I would have done if there had been chicks in them lol. They was nothing but runny egg. One had a little speck like it tried to start but failed (also had blood in it). So we are down to 18/20 eggs in the incubator. Keeping fingers crossed for good luck on the others. It is in God's hands.

6. blondeless1

blondeless1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2012
    Good luck and enjoy them!!

7. blondeless1

blondeless1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2012
    Good luck with your hatch!1

8. jnkfarms

Mar 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    Thank you also found out some great news today. My oldest hen that I have left from buying 8 at a feed store has been laying for about 3 months now. I bought some more babies from a local guy and they was quite a bit younger then her. I cracked an egg tonight to use in cornbread and it had a bulls eye. So I cracked another and it had it too. So time to stop gathering and let her set. I can't wait till she has some babies. She thinks she is a lap dog and wants to be in your lap all the time. Super excited that she is laying hatch able eggs now.

9. Wishapup

Wishapup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Canada
    You must be pleased to have a setting hen - I want to try this spring as well! What breed is your hen?

10. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    Hi, and welcome to BYC!
    I'm in Tennessee too, and am on my second hatch.
    The hatch-a-long threads are great if you have any questions about incubating (just make sure you find one of the current ones)
    Good luck with your first hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by