First time incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kbbcass, Feb 17, 2015.

1. kbbcass

kbbcass Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2015
    This morning I can hear my peeps chirping in their shell. I am a little worried as to how long to leave them in incubator if they hatch and the others haven't hatched yet. I have a variety in my incubator. Silkies, Easter egger, and sexlinks. Should they hatch pretty close to same time? And should I leave hatched in with unhatched? I am so excited I can barely contain myself!! Thank you all!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If they were set the same time, they should hatch the same time (within a day or 2)
    Leave them all in until they all hatch.
    They can stay in there up to 2 days if need be but the sooner they can get food and water the better.

1 person likes this.
  3. kbbcass

Feb 5, 2015
    Ok thank you for the information. I will do that. :)

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I meant to add that the reason for keeping them in till all hatch is to prevent the loss of valuable humidity which may cause the remaining hatchers to become shrink wrapped in their shell and they can't hatch.
    My homemade incubator holds a lot of humidified air that's constantly drawn across the hatching area so in a pinch I can open the door once or twice quickly without a problem but I only do so in an emergency.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Don't forget to open air vents!

-Kathy

6. kbbcass

Feb 5, 2015
    Will opening vents decrease the humidity?

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Yes, but better to have lower humidity than not enough air in there, remember, even when they're egglets, they still need to breathe! And as one chick hatches, the moisture involved will boost the humidity for future hatchlings.

1 person likes this.
  8. kbbcass

Feb 5, 2015
    Ok thank you. Vents are now open. :)

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    This has some good info about O2 levels:

-Kathy

10. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    What Lazy Gardner said. Plus, removing the vents doesn't decrease the humidity instantly. Removing the vents makes the water troughs dry up faster, THEN the humidity starts to decrease. Unless the humidity is in the low teens I don't add water till lockdown and it lasts for 2 or 3 days with the vent plugs removed.

I remove the chicks as soon as they are dry and walking around but I remove them in groups, i.e. I don't open the bator every time a single chick hatches and I don't open the bator if any pips are in progress.
    The only issue with you leaving them in the bator for 3 days is you have different size eggs; the larger 2-3 days old ee's and sl can trample the weak & tiny just hatched silkies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by