First time incubation.. Confused ! two groups of eggs the 2nd 2 days after the first ! HELP PLZ

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blugraphic, Oct 2, 2012.

1. blugraphic

blugraphic Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    Its my first time to use my new hova bator 1388 which i shipped recently. I got 30 eggs, i set up my incubator and started the incubation periods. Two days after, i got another 10 eggs and added them to the incubator.

Now i noticed that i should increase the humidity for the last 3 days, What can i do ? if i raised the humidity for the at day 18 of the 1st group off eggs, i will be raising it at the day 16 of the 1nd group.

What is the best thing to do ? Thanks and waiting for your help reply guys !

2. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    I would bring them all into lockdown at the same time, if your tempature has been steady I would say raise for day 19 of the first group and day 17 for the second group. If your tempatures have run a bit high then raise it on day 18 for the first and day 16 for the second. Tempatures should be 99.5 in a forced air incubator and 101.5 in a still air incubator. Also check the air sac development to make sure they are on track, not to small and not to big. I have done lots of staggard hatches in the past all working out fine. Good Luck!

3. blugraphic

Oct 2, 2012
    do i raise the temperature or the humidity ? and raise it to what extent ?
    my temperature is 100 F and humidity varies between 45% and 55%.

4. cochins1088

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    Is your incubtaor still air or forced air? you won't be changing the tampatures at all, that will just help predcit when they will hatch because most poeple end up with tempatures that runner higher or lower than what is optimum. If your incubator is still air and you ran it at 100 degrees, then I would go into lockdown on day 19 for the first group and day 17 of the second group. On the other hand, if it's forced air and you ran it at 100 degrees, I would go into lockdown on day 18 with the first group like normal, and day 16 for the other group. So depends on your incubator.

For lockdown, you stop turning and raise the humidity up to 55-60%.

5. blugraphic

Oct 2, 2012
    thanks for your help, i have a hova bator 1588 wich is forced air incubator.
    i also have 1 duck egg in the incubator, what can i do for this egg ?
    that sounds weird but i didnt had in mind the lockdown period when i started using the incubator.

6. cochins1088

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    What day should the duck egg hatch on? Will it hatch sometime near the chicken eggs or will it be in the middle of it's incubation? You will have to watch air sac development because of the high humidity, but otherwise it should be fine. I have done this before as well with great hatch rates.

If the duck egg will be in the middle of incubation, once the chicken eggs are done hatching, quickly clean the incubator. Take the duck egg out, and clean the incubator is under 10 mintues, just spray it down with water and scrub the bad areas to minimize bacteria growth from the hatch while you continue your incubation with your duck egg. Then put the lid bad on, don't bumb the tempature adjustment so that it should be correct right when you set it back up. 3 days before the duck egg should hatch, put it into lockdown. More than likely the higher humidity during the hatch won't hurt the duck egg, but you should watch for air cell development because you may need to lower humidity closer to 30% afterwards.

If the duck egg will be close to lockdown aways, then just leave the incubator in lockdown, but again, watch for air cell development.

7. blugraphic

Oct 2, 2012
    thanks man for your help.. i will do just what you told me.

8. cochins1088

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    Good Luck with your hatch!! [​IMG]

9. blugraphic

Oct 2, 2012
    hey how are you,
    iam on day 14 now of my incubation, i have some problems, i noticed that some of my eggs are placed with their rounded side downwards and the the more edged size upwards ! would these eggs hatch ?
    i also noticed some smell in the incubator and i noticed one of my eggs bleeding the egg substance on the floor of the incubator ? should i remove this egg ? any chance it would hatch ?
    thanks and sorry for bothering you too much with my questions.
    its my first hatch and i should get from it ! :)

10. GVChickenMan

GVChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    UK
    If you've got a smell and a weeping egg I would get that egg out of the incubator as quickly (and carefully) as possible. It's not going to hatch and is just a source of bacteria to infect the others. From what I understand, those things can explode all over your bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by