First Time Incubator Hatch, Help!

thepromise

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 26, 2010
Orange County
This is my first time using an incubator to hatch chicks.
smile.png
My neighbor was throwing out an old still air incubator and i asked if i could have it. So I ordered shipped eggs from Ebay and now i have 30+ eggs ready to hatch. I am on day 18 and Im going into lockdown tonight. The eggs should be hatching July 3rd or 4th. I hope its the 4th.
jumpy.gif
But when I got the eggs two of the eggs were cracked. I was going to toss them out, but I just couldnt. So I decided to tape the eggs on the cracked parts and put them in. The egg with a little crack never developed. But the one with a huge crack has devloped. So my question is should i take the tape off before lockdown or keep it on? Will i break the egg if i take the tape off? Or if i leave it on will the chick ne strong enough to rip through the tape when it hatches? Has anyone ever done this? Any Advice would be great. This is my first hatch using an incubator, so cross your fingers for me.
fl.gif

incubator.jpg

Tappy1.jpg

Tappy2.jpg

I Know the pictures arent that great, but Any help on what to do will be great. Thanks Ahead of time.
smile.png

Last edited:
I have no idea. I am just interested to see if taping is successful. I have heard that bacteria can form in the egg and cause problems. I have always just tossed the eggs that had even a hair line crack. I am watching to see what happens with your egg!

My guess would be to leave it on because if you take it off the egg might lose moisture too quickly and shrink wrap the baby if it's still alive.

If your on Day 18, then Hatch Day would be on the 2nd & Lock Down would be Tomorrow. The last three days are lock down which is when you up the humidity. (Days 19-21) but yes the hatch can take a couple days longer. Good luck with your hatch, ~Julie~

I'm a newbie, but I'd leave it on there. I did read somewhere about putting Elmer's Glue on a crack to seal it, but I don't know if that is good or not. It isn't toxic so I don't guess it would hurt anything, but I'd get someone else's input on that before doing it. As for the chick being able to hatch out, I guess it depends on how much area the tape covers and how strong the tape is. But since it is on there, I'd leave it.

Good luck with your hatch! I hope everything goes great. Post some pictures when they pop out.
smile.png

I had a cracked egg. I didn't realize it was cracked until I candled at lock down. I usually candle at day 10 but didn't on this hatch. The chick had developed so I just left the egg alone. The membranes were intact so I just let it be. It hatched fine. You can mist the egg while in lock down.

Wished I knew about the glue, I just used tape cuz that was the closes thing to me at the time.
sad.png
Im hoping it will hatch. Ill keep an update on it and its fellow sisters and brothers.
smile.png
i put the eggs into lockdown 10mins ago. So Lets hope for a good hatch.
smile.png
Cant wait for my chicks.
jumpy.gif

YAY They are here!!!
jumpy.gif
6 chicks have hatched, so far and two are pipping right now. I have 3 blacks, 1 blue, 1 splash and 1 Lavender There are still a few left, but they seem to be going good. Ill give them a few more days.
smile.png
The tape egg has pipped, so im very happy.
celebrate.gif
but i have six chicks in the incubator dried and fluffy. Do i keep them in there untill all chicks have hatched or do i open the incubator and take them out and put them into the brooder? This is my fist time, i dont know what to do. I dont want to harm the unhatched eggs, if i open the incubator? Thanks
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom