First Time Incubator here...

silkies4penny

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 23, 2011
Fayetteville, WV
hello all, I just recently got a Hovabator 1602N. I set it up about 24 hours before putting eggs in, I have shipped eggs which I let stand pointy side down for 8 hours before placing in the bator. I have two thermometers, one on the eggs and a digital one off to the side. My digital one is at 99F, and my mercury one is at 100-101. I have a humidity level of 55% right now. Ive heard people wanting humidity as low as 30% or even dryer. My question is what temp shoulld my thermometer on the eggs be reading? I was thinking that it might need to read a little higher because it is resting on top of the eggs. I am not quite at the 24 hour mark on my eggs, so Im hoping I havnt screwed them up yet. any advice would be great!!

Truly, I just filled the water trays according to the directions when I had my Hova Bator, and I didn't use a Hygrometer....One less thing to worry about, and it was my best incubator.

Sounds like you're doing fine!

With those Hova-bators you really don't have to do or worry about much.
Just let 'em do their thing!

As far as humidity,,, everyone seems to have their own personal preference (including dry -no water); you'll find out what works best for you.

I usually keep my humidity at around 60% for the first 18 days and increase it to 70%-75% during lockdown. Like I said, everyone will be different.

A VERY useful read is the Incubation Thread. It's chock FULL of valuable information. A must read for the first-timer and the 50th timer!

Good luck!
big_smile.png

I have read those links as well thank you!! I am just hoping to figure out what the discrepancies should be between tempreture readings from the side of the bator to the top of the egg.

I can't remember if the 1602N is a forced air or a still air. If it is a forced air (has a fan) the temperature everywhere inside should be 99.5 F. If it is a still air, the temperature right on top of the eggs should be 101.5 F. In a still air, since hot air rises, you can get quite a variation depending on height.

Have you calibrated your instruments? Unless you calibrate them, you really don't know what temperatures or humidity you have.

Rebel’s Thermometer Calibration
http://cmfarm.us/ThermometerCalibration.html

Rebel’s Hygrometer Calibration
http://cmfarm.us/HygrometerCalibration.html

Yeah, everyone uses different humidities for their best results. I don't think humidities have to be that accurate but you do need to find out what works for you. Some people don't add any water and get humidities in the 50% range while others add a lot of water and have trouble getting it to 40%. It just depends on your conditions. I use a hygrometer, not to determine what the humidity is but so I can tell when the water reservoir is dry and I need to add water.

Editted because I forgot my manners.
frow.gif
Welcome to the forum!!!!
frow.gif

Last edited:
I have calibrated them and the incubator I have is a still air, You answered my question perfectly. I thought I read somewhere it should be 101.5 on the top of the egg, but I wasnt sure... I have read too much in the past few days!! I will be sure to let you all know how it goes!! here's for a first try!!

Back
Top Bottom