First Time Incubator!!!!!! Starting in 3...2...1....GO!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kzane23, Apr 1, 2015.

1. kzane23

kzane23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2013
    Northern NM
    OMG. I just got 15 eggs set up in my incubator and its FREAKING ME OUT! lol[​IMG] I've been reading everyone elses baby posts and I'm so nervous!

I've got 12 Mystery eggs that were dropped off at our local feed store this morning and 3 of my Swedish hens eggs(Papa's a Pekin). [​IMG] Those 3 are a total toss up though. I cracked an older one to check for fertility and it 'looked' right but I have no idea. They have been in the house at room temp for about a week so I'm not holding my breath on that one. The Mystery eggies came from a house with about 10 or so random ducks I'm told so again, it's a toss up.... Wish me luck! I'm going to try and post day by day pics and updates [​IMG]

Start Day
    [​IMG]

2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    How exciting! The first time is always the most amazing, but can also be the most stressful! Just relax and enjoy the miracle. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. kzane23

Feb 22, 2013
    Northern NM
    Thank you! Since I started them so late this evening,I should count tomorrow as Day 1 right?

4. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Yep, the first 24 hours is known as Day 0. So tomorrow evening will be Day 1. ;)

5. kzane23

Feb 22, 2013
    Northern NM
    I'm so eggcited! Hehe

6. kzane23

Feb 22, 2013
    Northern NM
    Question, I candled today at Day 4 and couldn't really see anything except for in the smallest egg. My other Mystery eggs are gigantic and now I'm wondering if they could possibly be Muscovy?? They are white-ish and have almost invisible green flecks on them and are HUGE. Almost goose sized.....

7. kzane23

Feb 22, 2013
    Northern NM
    WIN! I re candled my eggies today(Day5) and I have LIFE!!!![​IMG]4 of the Mystery eggs were no good and 2 of my personal eggs weren't any good either [​IMG] I truthfully didn't expect any of my eggs to be good but K3 has veins!!!!! I'm so excited I could squeal!!!! I've gotten two more of my own eggs since the first and I've put them in as well.

Now, I do have a question for any experienced duck hatcher. Two of the eggs show a very prominent red dash. Almost like a Nike symbol. Is this the start of a blood ring? I figured I would leave them in until I candle again on day 10 or so.

8. kzane23

Feb 22, 2013
    Northern NM
    [​IMG]Day 5!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]These would be mom and dad to the three eggies on the bottom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]I don't think you can tell in these pictures but he has got the prettiest blue eyes :)

9. Trexroo

Trexroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2015
    north east mi
    If it is a predominate red dash you may wish to compare it to a red ring of death, I'm sorry to say it might be a bad sign.

10. donkeydew2farms

donkeydew2farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2014
    kzane23 that is a cute couple I wish you luck with the incubating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by