First time incubator!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by XcluckyX, Feb 11, 2017.

1. XcluckyX

XcluckyX Just Hatched

Feb 9, 2017
    Townsville
    Hi everyone, so it's my first time incubating and I've been turning them 3 times a day. Lastnight which was day 3 I decided to candle a them but it doesn't look like anythings in there ;-( Should I just give up and take them out or should I leave them and keep turning them and see what happens? I kinda feel disappointed like I'm wasting my time ;-(

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'd suggest giving them at least until day 10 before ditching them. Did you check that your eggs are fertile before putting some in the incubator?

1 person likes this.
  3. XcluckyX

XcluckyX Just Hatched

Feb 9, 2017
    Townsville
    Update On My Eggs! Thanks CTKen for your advice I left the eggs and candled them again lastnight and they all have living chicks inside :) I'm so excited only 4days to go till lockdown I can't wait :)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    Great news!

5. lilwildrabbit

lilwildrabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2017
    Brinson Georgia
    I'm on day 7 and it's driving me crazy I so want to see if everything is ok but scared to even open the incubator 3 more days and I'm praying I have some life signs

6. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    [​IMG]

7. lilwildrabbit

Feb 9, 2017
    Brinson Georgia
    Well day 10 on my eggs our first hatch I am surprised that even so long that there are embryo signs. Out of 60+ eggs all over two weeks old and half from the fridge I have as best I could tell 41 good and growing about half from the fridge and most of the ones I had out are growing, or growing m guessing they are hell to tell with brown eggs! I did see veins and eyes in some and I had a great surprise one of the eggs my only EE (lost my hen ) is growing!! As is two of the 4 Dutch game hens. I think from my jumbo eggs I had 5 and two look ok. Now with Gods Will I'll have some surprises in about 11 now in a week last candling and lockdown. I actually feel like a kid waiting on Santa Clause lol

8. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    Great news - it's gotta be the longest 21 days known to mankind eh? [​IMG]

9. lilwildrabbit

Feb 9, 2017
    Brinson Georgia
    It drove me crazy just waiting 10 days to candle now another 8 days to wait I know I'll pace a hole in the rug in front of the incubator by the time the first chick emerges lol

10. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Glad to see that you have some eggs developing. Never give up before a week, preferably 10 days. I can usually see for certain development as early as day 3, in light colored eggs, but sometimes it takes a couple days longer, especially in darker or more porous eggs. I candle on a daily basis. I just hit Day 3 with my silkie eggs and I can say for certain there are 15 developing, one that I know started but may have already quite and 6 that appear to be clear, however, those 6 will stay in until at least day 7 when I mark my air cells.

Best of luck to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by