First time Incubator...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sidhe13, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Sidhe13

Sidhe13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2015
    Victoria, Australia
    Question...if you are setting eggs in an incubator do they have to all be set on the same day? I have some potentials arriving next week....can I put them in with the eggs that are already incubating or do i have to wait for the next cycle?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    You don't have to set all on the same day but it is advisable because if you don't you will have what is a called a staggered hatch. Which personaly for me is a no no. Setting at different times is a catch 22 situation when you come to lockdown for eggs that have reached day 18 that require to be stopped turning and the humidity putting up for them to be able to hatch ok and not become shrink wrapped in the shell. At lockdown you need to remove the turner so that hatched chicks do not become trapped in it, this would mean your younger eggs that still require turning would have to be hand turned meaning you would have to open the incubator therefore affecting your humidty for the eggs in lockdown. High humidity can affect younger eggs as they may not lose enough moisture and the air sac not grow large enough for the chicks to be able to pip safely into.
    The only real way around this is to have a seperate incubator/hatcher to move the eggs into when they reach day 18.

Good luck with your incubation :thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    x2 I have never and do not plan to ever do staggered hatches. Too much of a headache.

1 person likes this.
  4. Sidhe13

Jan 26, 2015
    Victoria, Australia
    [​IMG]Thanks guys! The eggs arrived early and they are only staggered by one day, but I will keep that in mind for future...

New question: the humidity in the incubator is 55-60% and I am really struggling to get it down to the recommended 50-55%. How serious an issue is this? There is no water in the channels, and I even got in there with paper towels last night to try and find any excess moisture that I might have missed! The vents are all open. I know it is only Day 1.5 and some say that there is no real set humidity and that it all depends on how the air cell is looking...but I really would rather have it too low now, and raise it later if needed, because I can't seem to get it any lower! The only thing I haven't tried is having a wee fan blowing on the incubator to try and circulate some more air in the vents.

The temp is holding beautifully between 37.5 and 37.9.

Also, on 2 of the eggs when I candled them before setting them I couldn't see an air cell. I am not sure if this is a clue for later culls. Some of the eggs were really porous too. Again, I don't know enough to feel comfortable culling successfully so I figured I would wait until day 10-14 when I may be able to get a better idea of the development inside.
    None of the eggs are shipped. 15 are mine, 7 are from a friend down the road.

5. Danielchicken

Danielchicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Do you guys know what a polish x Cochin chick will look like? Im incubating this last egg laid by my blue Cochin this morning before she got killed by a dog. [​IMG] RIP. The babies name will be named blue in memory of her.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  6. Sidhe13

Jan 26, 2015
    Victoria, Australia
  7. smallski500

smallski500 New Egg

Feb 21, 2015
    I'm on day 22 of my first hatch. I only have 4 chicken eggs in the incubator. Humidity is at 63%. I haven't heard any peeps. None have rolled. I candled this afternoon and saw some movement in 3. I'm not totally sure about the 4th. But it doesn't look as if any have gotten into the air sack yet. I'm so worried and anxious.

8. Danielchicken

Danielchicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX

Thank you so much. I was really upset because she was the first chick to hatch in our property. And she made really scary dinosaur noises when she went into the nesting box.

9. Sidhe13

Jan 26, 2015
    Victoria, Australia
    I have always tried not to get too attached to my chooks because they are just too low down the food chain, but I never really succeed. I wasn't allowed many pets growing up, so I make up for it now and I cried tears of joy when my first chicks hatched! Unfortunately they were born to terrible mothers and, though I tried, I didn't really understand how to help the orphans properly...tears ensued.

Then about 3 months ago a friend gave us 6 Silkie chooks that he didn't want any more. They make great mothers for anything and everything so I was soooo excited! I kept them close until they were old enough to look after themselves and they hung out with my other 5 chooks. A fox took out all 6 of the Silkies a couple weeks back in a daytime raid...they liked to roam down the back, where the others came up the front of the house...my poor rooster (no relation to them) had really taken them under his wing and protected them when the other hens got a bit snitty...he pined for about a week.

My 2 Isa came from horrific conditions as pullets. The never left the coop and whenever I entered the pen would hide under the nesting boxes in the corner, huddled up together, and cry. It has been absolutely amazing watching them transform into bossy, mischievous layers who have an insatiable curiosity for everything! They are always first in line when I walk in the gate now so check out whatever it is I have...whether it is food, bedding, or a new fixture for our ever-improving enclosure. Despite my best intentions, I know I will be upset if anything happens to them...even my 2 Australorps with their wonky tails, and my love/hate Stupid Rooster... I try to think of them as lesser so that it won't be so devastating later...but I know I am failing...I am destined to mother anything and everything lol...

That is the main reason why we have borrowed an incubator first. To see if I can switch to thinking of them in a way that we can cope with the eventuation of roosters. Because we can NOT have more than one rooster...and you have to pay people to take them out here...so we are talking about using them as meat birds for ourselves. This is the test of whether we (mainly ME) can actually do it! They say it is easier if you have your "special" ones to mother and love...and when there are a bunch of them so you don't think of them as individuals...I have a friend on standby to take any roosters if the time comes and I am getting too attached to these ones. She has no problem raising them up for meat and will take this first batch. But if I can't do it this first time, then I won't go into producing chicks, and will discourage any broody hens...

(Sorry, I don't get out much, and my man gets sick of hearing about my chooks, so I tend to ramble on and write novels...)

1 person likes this.
  10. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

Once you get to day 18 with the first set of eggs the eggs that are a day behind will be fine to be lockdown at the same time. The chicks will be developed enough to not require being turned. Turning is really only essential for the first two weeks to stop sticking inside the shell and to get the nutrients moving through the egg and embryo.
    Humidity - I take it you are in a humid climate? Double check your hygrometer to make sure it's reading correctly. Your porous eggs could be creating some extra humidty as they release more moisture due to the porosity of them, more moisture can escape.
    Air sacs - you should see more of a defined airsac at a later candling when the eggs have lost more moisture and the air sac has grown. Also just laid eggs have very small air sacs sometimes you can't see these at all. The older the egg gets the more moisture it would lose naturally just sat in the nest of egg carton.
    Good luck with your eggs :fl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by