First time keeping chickens in winter!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Farmergyrl23, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Farmergyrl23

Farmergyrl23 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2011
    Hello, we live in northeast Pennsylvania and this will be our first year keeping chickens through the winter. We have 5 chickens that are around 4 months old. I've included a picture of their coop, the front windows are made out of plexi glass and the side is covered with wire and opened up for the summer but we have since boarded that side up to keep the wind and cold out. Is there anything else we should be preparing for? Do they need a heat lamp or other heat source to keep them warm and healthy throughout the winter season? Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    I don't see ventilation anywhere. Is it on another side the picture doesn't show?

3. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    OK... THAT is a beautiful coop! As for heat, I don't think yu get ultra cold there in North PA, so I think as long as the birds are feathered out, draft free and fed enough, they will be fine.... DId I mention that was a beautiful coop!?!
    Nice job!!!

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Beautiful Coop [​IMG] . As for heating as long as they have all their adult feathers they should be fine. Just to be safe you could add a extra layer of bedding for them.

5. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    Draft free but well ventilated so no moisture builds up. Added heat is not neccessary.

6. Farmergyrl23

Oct 6, 2011
    Quote:Yes there is ventiliation, although I don't have a picture of it. It's up in the top on both sides, we have the sides enclosed with wire.

7. Farmergyrl23

Oct 6, 2011
    Quote:Thank you! My husband built it.

8. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    By the way... THere is a gap in the door on the right.... Are you sure no little writhe, determined, chicken loving critter can get in there???
    P.S. I moved my sofa from my living room and want your coop in there.... [​IMG]

9. Farmergyrl23

Oct 6, 2011
    Quote:Yes, on that side it was enclosed with wire and the the side opened up for the summer, we have since taken that door off and added the "winter door" so no gaps for little critters or drafts to give my little chickens a chill!

LOL! Inside it has the nesting boxes on the left side and a branch from a tree that goes from one side to the other, the chickens love hoping up on it.

Heres a picture of that side, of course the chickens were much smaller than they are now
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  10. The Old Whittler

The Old Whittler Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2011
    Nice coop!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by