💙🖤💙🖤
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 4, 2019
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all,

I have a lot of chipmunks and squirrels around my place. They are spreading lots of ticks and eating chicken feed, so we have started shooting/trapping them. I've seen dead ones around in traps, but never really killed one my self. (It's a different family member shooting) But today, I was out will my gun (BB) and was waiting to see a chipmunk. I saw a red squirrel and shot, I thought I hit it, but I found out I hadn't when I saw it again 10-15 minutes later sitting on a tree limb. I shot again but still was unsure if I hit it. Then, I saw it right in front of me, but it did not see me. I gave a shot and this time hit it. I gave another shot once it fell to the ground, and I knew that it was only moving like other animals do when they are dead. I shot it a few more times until I felt sure. :p Now, I'm feeling shaky and a little guilty. It was my first time killing something, so is this how I'm feeling regular? I'm just looking for some emotional support....thanks.

- Clucky

Yes, totally normal. Taking a life is never easy.
Even though the red squirrels were getting into the basement and making a mess of everything, chewing on everything, peeing on everything and such, I still felt bad killing the little red-devil. Sometimes it just has to be done.
I can't eat chicken for a couple of days after butchering, I say a little prayer over every bird before doing the dead...

Well, you can now clean it and cook it. An overnight soak in a dish of milk will remove any 'gamey' taste; I like squirrel fried. Mighty fine eating; and if you don't think you could stomach that, your chickens will love you for a chance at that fine dining! If you intend to feed it to the chickens, I recommend baking in water as it eliminates the need for oil and the broth can be mixed in with their standard feed for an added flavor and nutritional boost.

Chipmunks and squirrels arent spreading ticks to your chickens chickens eat ticks this whole shooting doesn't make since you just killed an animal for no reason lock your feed up if they are getting into it was this chipmunk harming anything and do you have a permit to hunt chipmunks?

Last edited:
Taking a life is never easy. Years ago, first time turkey hunting, even with a clean shot and quick death, the adrenaline surge that happens can cause those shakes afterwards. As someone that only hunts for the freezer, I hate to say I got used to it and the guilt diminishes.
then a few years back, each of my dogs got into it with porcupines- what I now call $500 vet bills. I tried trapping and relocating, but after killing apple trees, I was like Elmer Fudd “be very, very quiet, I’m hunting porkies....” and started hunting rather than trapping. But I still feel guilty killing anything I can't eat.
Ditto on food storage comments.

Last edited:
Taking a life is never easy. Years ago, first time turkey hunting, even with a clean shot and quick death, the adrenaline surge that happens can cause those shakes afterwards. As someone that only hunts for the freezer, I hate to say I got used to it and the guilt diminishes.
then a few years back, each of my dogs got into it with porcupines- what I now call $500 vet bills. I tried trapping and relocating, but after killing apple trees, I was like Elmer Fudd “be very, very quiet, I’m hunting porkies....” and started hunting rather than trapping. But I still feel guilty killing anything I can eat.
Ditto on food storage comments.
Agreed. I hunt with my dad, and for a long while I felt really guilty and avoided going out with him, but lately I've realized that hunting is basically getting the most free-range meat anyone could ask for.
@cluckmecoop7, :hugs It's definitely hard to take life, but you're doing the right thing. :hugs

Agreed. I hunt with my dad, and for a long while I felt really guilty and avoided going out with him, but lately I've realized that hunting is basically getting the most free-range meat anyone could ask for.
@cluckmecoop7, :hugs It's definitely hard to take life, but you're doing the right thing. :hugs

I've realized that hunting is basically getting the most free-range meat anyone could ask for.

100% organic - you can't get better than game. And Glad to hear you're out hunting with your Dad. Glad to see hunting being passed on to the next generation. I used to take my daughter too... until she went vegan :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom