first time killing

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by TinyBirds, Aug 31, 2009.

1. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    It was my first time today, killing a guinea. I'm not a big meat eater, but my husband loves meat and I just couldn't bear the thought of eating meat from factory-raised animals. So I watched a few videos of the factory farming on youtube.com and that helped me prepare to kill the guinea. My husband was impressed that I did it all by myself, making dinner from scratch like that, but I don't think I could do it more than once a week or so. Here is the how-to video I watched before doing it, in case it's helpful to other first-timers too, especially girls:

and here's one of the videos on the factory-raised chickens:

2. Winsor Woods

Winsor Woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cascade Range in WA
    My wife brought home a DVD (either netflix or the library) called "Our Daily bread." It had industrial food production from all categories and was pretty sobering to watch the worker wear hazmat suits as they sprayed our food-crops, and watched the industrialized slaughter of animals.

We just bought our first local beef from a neighbor (1/4 cow) and now we're raising meat and laying chickens. It's much nicer to know that the food on my plate had a decent life and enjoyed it's time here rather than suffered every breath.

Dan

3. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks so much for your response Dan. I will have to check out that video too. It makes me feel really good knowing we won't be eating meat from animals that are horribly treated. We love our animals so much, and our kids walk around holding the chickens and young turkeys. I was surprised the girls weren't upset by my killing the guinea-fowl. They watched me do it, even though they're only ages 4 and 6. They loved the taste of the meat for dinner too. I also showed them the videos of the factory-farming, so they know our animals have a great life in comparison. My 6 year old said "how sad - they need space and grass to walk around on" when she saw the video.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  4. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I heard if you eat a chicken (presumable also true of guineas) in the first 24 hours after butchering they are tough. You must wait till the next day.
    Anyone else heard of this? I heard it from a chicken farmer.

5. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yup, I wait 48 hours before I freeze or eat.

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    There's a really great video on YouTube titled "Chicken Processing on Custer Family Farm" that shows how to skin & clean out the birds. Even if you decide to pluck, this video is worth watching to learn an easy way to clean out carcasses. I watched that Chicken Slaughter video, I'd advise that lady to find a place to hang her chickens while they're bleeding out and while she's plucking them. It would make things much easier for her. You can use anything, a tree branch, clothesline support, a board nailed between 2 trees, even a hook on a fence. I use a metal porch swing frame, added hooks from the top, and hang my birds by their legs zip-tied together.

Congratulations on your success & enjoy your meals!

7. robbdebbie

robbdebbie Professional Chicken Bather

Jun 18, 2009
    Madisonville, LA
    Good job! I am sure it was tough, but you should be very proud of yourself. I hope one day I have the same courage you do. Thanks for sharing, and that is a wonderful idea to watch the videos.

Debbie

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  8. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    I was PRESENT for the kill of my chickens but did not do it(YET) they were older (6 yrs) and harder to skin than young meaties so WILL do it with up-and-coming meaties. I am also impressed with people that do this themselves(especially females, sorry guys but it does go against our nature!) I did cook birds myself ,tho and actually ate it. will NOT buy commercial meat and haven't eaten it(other than chipotle carnita) because of raising/slaughter practices of these animals. and the very few times my son has killed for me I have cried and will so again but these were birds I raised for a long time so hope the meatie bb's aren't as endearing to me. will do it no-matter what. GOOD JOB DEBBIE!

9. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] I am a tired middle-aged lady and I dispatched, skinned & cleaned SIX roosters all by myself this afternoon! I would have done more but my processing pal (another lady) couldn't make it over today. Women CAN do this!

10. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    welcome from ky, and i hope your guinea taste good, i took 2 and man what good eaten

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by