First time layers.... I think our girls mad!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LIL-HEN-lover, Aug 31, 2011.

1. LIL-HEN-lover

LIL-HEN-lover New Egg

Aug 31, 2011
    hi, i have 7 girls ranging from 10 week to 25 weeks. On the very day i was complaining that we were never going to get an egg as none of them were laying, i went to the coop and found an egg. Well it was like christmas as we were sooo excited.

These next 3 days days though..... Nothing!! Gertie, who we think laid the egg keeps going into the nest box at around 1.30pm for about an hour, then comes out singing the egg sond as if she thinks she has laid an egg but all we find when we get there is the rubber egg i keep in there to encourage them. Could it possible that she thinks it was actually her that laid that rubber egg? lol.
    [​IMG]

2. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    Our RIR is doing the same exact thing. got an egg last Friday and nothing since. today she was in the nest box singing away and nothing.

3. offmyroost

offmyroost Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    I'm convinced my girls (all new to laying) are all insane. My leghorns try to intimidate each other out of of their nesting boxes with a pterodactyl scream. Then they move in to the others former box. I'm convinced that one of them is only happy if she's sitting on two eggs. I had to remove the plastic eggs because my BR's were too easily fooled by them. They did the same thing yours do--sing and strut out of the coop thinking they have done something terrific, except all they have left is the plastic egg in the nest. I'm hoping that eventually they will settle down. Good luck.

4. LIL-HEN-lover

LIL-HEN-lover New Egg

Aug 31, 2011
    Lol. I'm glad it's not just my girls that are crazy!! I'm going to take the rubber egg out of the box today before Gertie goes to the nest box and see if anything changes.

She comes out so proud singing the egg song........... All for a rubber egg!! lol

5. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:pterodactyl scream [​IMG] That perfectly describes my White Leghorns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good one!!!!!!!!

6. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    i put golf balls to encourage the chickens to lay and they do the same thing that your chicken did

7. LIL-HEN-lover

LIL-HEN-lover New Egg

Aug 31, 2011
    so, I removed the rubber eggs yesterday and got up this morning to a nice real egg....... result!!

Even if it was in poo tray instead of the nest it was still real but she couldn't of been as excited as when she 'laid' the rubber egg as there was no egg song this time. lol.

Good luck all and thanks for your comments.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by