1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Time Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by monkeyqueen, Jan 26, 2014.

1. monkeyqueen

monkeyqueen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2013
    This morning while fixing breakfast I heard the strangest sounds coming from my coop area. I put on boots and rush out thinking perhaps a predator. No, it's my roo singing what I've learned from others the egg laying song! I look in the nesting box to find one of my RIRs . None of my hens do the singing before, during, or after and this is the first for the roo. I have noticed this hen is his "favorite". I go back awhile later to find nothing in the nest but a gooey mess, not egg like at all. What does this mean? This is the first time she's layed since I purchased her in July. Not sure how old she may be. My girls are fed a high quality layer crumble, table scraps, greens, scratch, and oyster shell.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    She most likely laid her first egg. When a pullet starts laying, sometimes the "egg conveyor belt" is a bit out of synch, and the egg passes through too fast to get enough shell laid down. It may be laid without the membrane, or just the membrane, or perhaps not enough shell to make it strong enough. She'll get settled down eventually and produce an egg with all of the parts in functional condition!

3. monkeyqueen

monkeyqueen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2013
    Thanks. Kinda what I thought, but wanted to be sure nothing wrong with my girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by