First time letting hen hatch eggs....help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by plefferts, Jul 28, 2010.

1. plefferts

plefferts Hatching

Jul 28, 2010
    One of my hens is sitting on 6 eggs...in the coop..in a nesting box. I am worried about all the posts I am reading that say I have to seperate her from the others.
    My chickens (7 hens, 2 roosters) do not usually fight. Last year one of my hens hatched two duck eggs and took great care of the ducklings. The others helped her and there was not a problem. Do I really have to seperate her? We have a dog crate to put in the coop for her to nest in on the floor...but I planned to take the door off so she can get in and out. Now I don't know what to do. Advise please!

2. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    If you can separate, do it. Can you build a little temporary run around the crate so she can stretch her legs and eat? I had to block my broody off because another hen kept trying to lay more eggs in the clutch. Plus, once she hatches, that area will be protection for the babies in case some of your other birds get aggressive.

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    You are allowed to do anything you want, everything else is advice to be taken with an open mind. You will do your best, and if it is a mistake, learn from it. The first time anything becomes a mistake, it is educational and the second time is debatable, the third time is stupidity.

4. Delta3013

Delta3013 Chirping

Jul 16, 2010
    Harker Heights, TX
    My silkie hen is sitting on some eggs in a cat crate in the henhouse with the others. She seems to like it because the others dont bother her. I only have 1 more week to go, and this is my first batch![​IMG]

5. Delta3013

Delta3013 Chirping

Jul 16, 2010
    Harker Heights, TX
    Quote:Great point. Thumbs up.

6. plefferts

plefferts Hatching

Jul 28, 2010
    Okay...I really appreciate your help. I think we will put her in the crate...in the coop. I will watch carefully and if I see any trouble I'll block off her area.
    She just starting sitting a few days ago so we have time to see what is happening with the others.
    Thanks for responding:) My chickens are like pets...kissed and hugged daily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by