First time letting the hens take over?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CammieSilkie, Sep 29, 2011.

1. CammieSilkie

CammieSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I hatch & raise chicks all the time, but usually in an incubator + under a heat lamp in my basement. Well, 2 of my silkie hens are broody, so i decided to let them share the nest and sit on 5 eggs. last time i checked at 7pm 2 of the eggs were pipping! [​IMG] It totally just occured to me though, what are the chicks going to eat? I feed my hens layer pellets, and they're inside the coop from when they wake up at 7 am to 4-5 pm, when i let them free range for an hour or two when i get home from school. my 5 little hens live in a teeny tiny coop, here's a picture:

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog...ursquare-Coop-with-Run-3-4-chickens-p720.aspx

There's nothing for momma to find for the chicks to eat in there other than layer pellet, and i heard thats poison to newly hatched chickies? what should i do?

2. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    It isn't poison... I have fed that to chicks in my times of need... The only thing is the high percentages of calcium is bad for them, and they also need more protein... You could always separate the two mama hens from the rest and feed the mamas and their babies chick starter... The mothers will gladly eat it and share with the young ones... This is what I do... [​IMG]

3. CammieSilkie

CammieSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Massachusetts
    could i put her in a dog crate or a rabbit hutch for a little while? and is it okay for mom(s) to be eating medicated chick starter?

4. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    I would seperate them like you suggest. It should not hurt the hen to each medicated starter feed

5. GermanChick

GermanChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    I have my broodie's separated from the rest. Today the first babies hatched. I replaced the layer pellets with medicated chick starter (couldn't find unmedicated). I just got one little bag of the chick starter and after that I will feed them Flock Raiser.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by