First time lose to a fox

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mrsp523, Nov 9, 2011.

1. mrsp523

mrsp523 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Western Mass
    We had our first loss after keeping chickens for over a year and a half. A fox got 2 of our girls and 1 of our roosters. It happened so fast, the rooster almost saved the 2nd girl, she got away, but died a few minutes later. I have to say I impressed at our Roosters attempt to protect the chickens. The chickens scattered and he went into attack mode. Very sad. Now I'm worried how my other rooster will do. The one left is towards bottom of pecking order- even though he is almost 2 times the size. Not sure he can take on the lead role.
    Did I tell you foxes suck! I feel bad cause I decided to let them out about a 1/2 hour before dusk (yes stupid move) and my kind thought killed 3 birds and made a 10 year old and her mom (me) very sad.

2. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    im sorry for you and your family...chickens too....i am hoping i never have to go through this....i am new too chickens....
    im sure you gave them a good life...better to have lived a good life then never lived at all!........be carefull of the fox...he will be back!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  3. jess_yip84

jess_yip84 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2011
    Pollock Pines
    Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss!

4. mrsp523

mrsp523 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Western Mass
    Thanks. The little chicken we thought he ate first, he didn't eat! My DH thought it was odd that there was only a lot of feathers, no blood, no feet...she showed up this morning with some missing feathers and scared. But otherwise okay. Made my daughter a little happy (me too). So it was the Roo, and one girl, which we couldn't find a mark on, except loss of feathers. Maybe he crushed her lungs. I get so mad thinking about it! The fox dropped her left her for dead and took the roo instead. He was a good roo [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by