First time Loss

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Dodie2012, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Dodie2012

Dodie2012 New Egg

Oct 5, 2012
    Back in February of this year I lost my best friend Maxie (border collie mix). Feeling alone, I decided to try something new and learn how to raise chickens in a semi-urban environment. Man-o-man I had no idea how much fun it is to raise chickens... They are a ball of laughs and so much personality between them it is hard not to smile when you see them. My partner and I both work but come home to a growing garden and the joy of chickens. Only two weeks ago they started to lay their first eggs. We had two Road Island reds and Two Barred rocks. Such a Joy! We never would have thought for one minute that they would or could fly over a 6 foot block wall fence. Well I hate to say it but it happened just today... I feel so heart broken. Facts of life are tough and is a tougher lesson to learn when I know that I could have prevented it. I miss my Barred rock, Dodie... She was a great chick! Neighbors dog made quick work of her. We can learn a lot from chickens. It was a joy to have her in my life and I will continue to raise more. Silly....... I would have never guessed she and all of them can enter your heart so deep...Thank you..

2. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Please accept my condolences for the loss of your pet Dodie (cute name, too). I didn't give much thought to predators in an urban environment (we're in one also). Usually you hear of countrydwellers' problems with raccoons, bobcats, coyotes, foxes etc. The predators we have are mainly domestic animals and some of them can unfortunately show their wild origins when opportunity knocks.

I hope you will continue in your chicken-raising adventures & journeys. I'm sure Dodie would be a very sad little peeper if you stopped due to her passing. Celebrate the 'funky chicken' and humorous hen that she was. Once again, so sorry for your loss.

3. Dodie2012

Dodie2012 New Egg

Oct 5, 2012
    Thank you so much for your reply CluckyCharms. Your right about not putting too much thought into domestic predators. This is all a learning curve that we are going thru. Finding new ways to protect the girls will be an ongoing process. There are ravens in this area and I'm not sure if they would or could take advantage of a chicken. I'm just not sure at this point. If you have any knowledge on this please share.

Thank you again for the confidence to keep going. One loss is too many but we have to remember that we all love animals and will continue to provide them with the best life that we can. I hope to get two new chicks in the spring to replace the one lost..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by