first time mama duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dzzzyd, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Dzzzyd

Dzzzyd In the Brooder

May 9, 2007
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    My duck just hatched her first eggs two days ago. 4 eggs out of 8 hatched. the last one that hatched was smaller and weaker, so Mama kicked it out of the nest last night. I checked on it a few times and still out and not walking I finally brought it in and put it in a lighted box. It is eating and drinking good, but still not walking. It does scoot all over the place though. So he got a name. lol Scooter He or she is finally standing for short times. The other babies are running all over the place outside and doing good. Mama left the other 4 eggs in the nest and as they looked pretty dark I finally took them out too and tossed them. I am hoping if Scooter gets strong enough to walk I can put him back with the others. But for now we have a baby in the house again.

2. mamanaturale

mamanaturale Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    spokane, wa
    awww, poor thing! fingers crossed that the little bugger gets stronger fast!

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    aww good luck:-( [​IMG]

4. Dzzzyd

Dzzzyd In the Brooder

May 9, 2007
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Well Scooter, as I call him (cause he scooted and couldn't walk) is in with the rest of his family and doing well. It took about 3 days of keeping him inside before he could walk, then out he went. Mama welcomed him with open wings and a big flying attack on me. hahaha. She heard him peep and she came a running fast.

5. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Songster

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    That is so great!![​IMG]

6. austinhart123

austinhart123 Songster

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Quote:ive had that happen to me plenty of times with crazy moms lol, congrats and post pics if you can

7. Dzzzyd

Dzzzyd In the Brooder

May 9, 2007
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    [​IMG]

Hope this picture posts. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: