First time mama losing chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Butterbean, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Butterbean

Butterbean New Egg

Apr 6, 2009
    I have an Americauna that has gone broody. She had 6 eggs. She hatched her first chick last Saturday. Monday, there was another egg underneath that was about halfway hatched, I left her alone, but the next morning the semi hatched chick was gone, and only 4 eggs remained at that point. Last night I noticed that there was another semi hatched chick just under her wing, so I left her alone and this morning, it had died, and had not completely hatched. This is my first time with a broody hen, but I always thought that the mama knew best and to leave her alone and let her do her job. When I found the dead chick this morning, I looked at the other eggs and another is trying to hatch. So what if anything should I do? She is in a seperate place from the other birds, and is in a nesting box that is inside another pen. She has enough room to set, get up and walk around, and has a place for food an water. The other hens can see her, but they can't get to her. It is kind of funny because they get on top of her pen and look inside, like they are checking her progress! Am I not providing something that she needs? I don't want to interfere, but want to make sure that she has what she needs.

2. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    Is this the first time she has been broody? I don't think it is unusual for first time mothers to have issues getting it all right. that being said, I've never had a broody, so hopefully someone else will chime in with suggestions.

3. Butterbean

Butterbean New Egg

Apr 6, 2009
    Yes, this is her first time being broody. Had wondered about her being a first time mama, guess that she has to learn how to be a mama. I have always gotten my chicks at the hardware store, so I am a first timer too! She is taking good care of the first chick, and it seems to be doing fine.

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    It is best to leave the broody to get on with it. Sometimes a rookie hen does not get it totally right, but they have to start somewhere. If she succeeds in raising one or two this time she will manage 6 or 7 next time. I hope she does well,

Sandie

5. Butterbean

Butterbean New Egg

Apr 6, 2009
    Thank you, I had thought that would be the best thing, guess that I needed to hear it from someone who knows more about raising chicks than I do! She is doing a good job with the 1 chick that she has hatched, maybe she will do even better next time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by