First time mom of 6 chicks....just arrived!

cwelk

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 6, 2013
I am so excited to have my first 6 chicks arrive today!! I have them in a plastic tub with a heat lamp...I am open to any suggestions on care...thanks!

Hello! Congrats on your babies :) I have 6 chicks too, 2 barred rocks, 2 red sex links, and 2 black sex links. Mine are roughly 3.5wks old (I forgot to ask the farm store when I got them) Here are a few helpful hints off the top of my head...I might be a newbie but I've spent a ton of time on this site.

- Make sure their heat lamp doesn't warm the entire tote, give them space to get away from the heat
- You could add apple cider vinegar "with the mother" to their water, has tons of health benefits
http://www.scratchandpeck.com/the-values-of-raw-apple-cider-vinegar
- Give them something to roost on, it's quite funny watching them learn to balance
- Research what kind of bedding you want to use (I use pine, FYI cedar is a no-no)
- Find something that will allow your water dish to be raised off the ground so they aren't getting the water too nasty
- Watch out for pasty butt, my chicks haven't had it but it seems kinda common and can kill the chicks if not taken care of
- Always make sure they have clean water and chick starter, before you start giving treats get them going on some chicken grit
* I had gotten my chicks a small box of parakeet grit at Walmart and then learned that I couldn't give it to them because it has calcium and could hurt chicks

And most importantly remember there are a million different ways to raise your chickens and people will not always agree. That is what I have been having a hard time with. I went into chicken raising knowing nothing so even though this site is amazing and I love it here I've still had to do my own research. Welcome to the site

Katie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom