First time Mom

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by LilCtryGal, Aug 5, 2014.

1. LilCtryGal

LilCtryGal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    I've had my first chick hatch the old fashion way! My Sicilian Buttercup has been sitting on about 9 eggs for over 21 days in one of the nesting boxes. Sunday I thought maybe I should get rid of them because nothing was happening. Well good thing I procrastinated. Last night I found one had hatched. I moved Mom, Chick and other eggs to the infirmary. I was told that other hen's could hurt the baby, is this the right thing to do? How much longer should I wait for the other's to hatch? This is a silly question but will she keep laying eggs while she is brooding? [​IMG]

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I would wait up to 48 hours. If they're not cracked you could try the water test. Your hen will most likely not lay for a while during her chick raising.

Congratulations on your new chicks!

3. LilCtryGal

Mar 10, 2013
    So it's been a week since my first hatched. I have 5 left that my Hen has been sitting on. I did the float test last week and again today. They are all sinking. I put one up to my ear and I believe I hear pecking going on. Is it possible? Do I let Mother Nature take it's course? I'm so confused!!! I'm afraid to crack the egg and find a baby in there.

How long do I lean the Mother Hen in with the new baby?

4. LilCtryGal

Mar 10, 2013
    Another egg hatched! Do I need to give my babies a vacination?

5. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    Might be best to read the threads here regarding vaccinations. Between the learning center, forums, other chicken experts on the internet and your local avian/farm vet(s) I would think you would be able to make the best informed decision on the best next step.
    Congrats on the new 'fuzz-butt'...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by