First time momma

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by viacky, Feb 4, 2015.

1. viacky

viacky Out Of The Brooder

I'm a first time chick mommy, hatching some fertile eggs I got online. One of them has hatched and is full of energy, stumbling about causing ruckus with the other eggs. My other 3 eggs, which where developed at last candling, have not even pipped yet :( technically I'm on day 22... Is it too early to worry about something having gone wrong... Thinking it might just be first time mommy worries. Any advice would be appreciated xx

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Don't get worried yet. Some do take longer to pip and hatch than other's. When you set them, did you count the day you se tthem or did you wait 24 to start your count? Often new hatchers count the first day and think they are late when they are "on time". You don't count the day you set them. Good luck and congrats on the hatcher.

3. viacky

I think I have counted correctly. But thank you for your reply, I think I'm just worrying. When my little chick is wandering around he stumbles quite a lot and seems quite unsteady on his feet. I'm assuming this is normal, given that he is only hours old.. Is this the case for most tiny chicks? Xx

4. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Yep that's normal, but don't worry in a couple of days he'll be running sprints. what I like is when they are running and just stop and then go to sleep standing there and fall over. It looks like they died but no just a power nap so they can get up and run around some more.

5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Oh my gosh..the chick face plant is enough to give anyone a heart attack...lol especially when you check on them and see them face down in the brooder... Heart palpatation city...lol

6. viacky

So glad it's not just me freaking out! Lol [​IMG] xx

7. viacky

Got a second egg pipped, thinking that my little black chick might be "egging" them on [​IMG] because of all the noise chicky is making I can't hear any egg chirping... But I can see the hole growing over time. Fingers crossed for the other two that haven't yet pipped xx

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG]

9. viacky

Unfortunately something seems to have gone wrong over night. My pipped egg didn't make it, and I found it this morning having bled out of the pipping :( not sure what happened last, whether my little chick was too rough with it? One of the other eggs has pipped now, so I dare not take the chick out in case I kill the other one! He'll just have to start playing more gently xx

10. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If he bled out while he was pipping there is a chance that the veins in the membrane had not dried up and receeded and he may have pipped his own membrane causing himself to bleed out. It does happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by