1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time 'moms'

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CHKNFMR, Apr 21, 2008.

1. CHKNFMR

CHKNFMR Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    GA
    [​IMG] I'm new to this site and just wanted to share my first born story with everyone. My nephew gave me 5 chicks last year to get me started. Plain 'ole game chickens he called them. One beautiful red rooster, two red hens, and a white/multicolored rooster and hen. They hadn't been handled much when smaller so they aren't as 'pet' as I'd like, but they don't run from me when I go into their pens to feed and water them. Big Red started to get aggresive towards Lil Buddy so we seperated them; putting the two red hens with Big Red and the other hen with Lil Buddy. Lil Buddy really blossomed once he was in his own pen with his own hen. The eggs came few and far between with them all together, but once seperated, they really got into laying. However, none would even consider brooding them. I bought a small simple incubator, put in just a few eggs to start with (8) and have just this weekend hatched out my first babies!!! [​IMG] I came home really cranky from work Friday and found my first baby chirping happily in the incubator. It made my whole weekend happier!! I was so excited I called my husband, mom, and nephew bragging like I had just given birth. All during Friday night and along the day Saturday, little peeps kept us jumping. We have 5 happy, healthy little chirpers in the brooder now. The last of which came around 2 am this morning. Not sure what's holding the other three up. Hopefully they'll be hopping around in the incubator when I check back in this afternoon. I can hardly wait to get off work.

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Welcome to BYC and welcome to the addiction that is hatching eggs!

Congrats on the babies!!

3. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    congrats on the babies and everytime you hatch it will be the same way.

4. kaylakala

kaylakala Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Melbourne Florida
    Now you're going to have to post some pics

5. CHKNFMR

Apr 21, 2008
    GA
    Of course I got the camera out!! have to download them tonight and will try my hand at posting the pics tomorow..

6. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I know the feeling. Just got my eggs about an hour ago. I took such special care marking the Xs and Os. I called everyone and I'm gonna take pics tonight.I am just as nervous and excited as I was when I was pregnant. This is great though because I get to give birth without going theu labor! Wish me luck!

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

AWWW!! I am new here too and am WAITING patiently on my chicks! Never done this before but hearing your story makes me really want to hatch some out asap! We get fertile eggs from our "egg lady" and I'm seriously considering doing it! If I start them on the 1st I will have them the same day I pick my bunch up from the post office [​IMG] 21 days to hatch right?

8. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah 21. Just like us humans though some could b early or late.

9. CHKNFMR

Apr 21, 2008
    GA
    Like any new parent, got to show em off... first born [​IMG] 2nd [​IMG] moms [​IMG] [​IMG] dads [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hope I did this right, and they show up.

10. kaylakala

kaylakala Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Melbourne Florida
    Looks great thanks for sharing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by