1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First time mother hatched babies?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by birdman4259, Aug 11, 2014.

1. birdman4259

birdman4259 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2014
    I will have some chicks hatching in the next day or so. One of my leghorns went broody on me. I decided to let her sit and see what happens. Is their anything special I have to do when they hatch. I would like to leave them with the hen. Will they be o.k. with the rest of the flock? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

SAndy

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Your Leghorn went broody? Pretty cool! As a very heavy production breed, it is quite rare for them to go broody. Aside from regular feeding and watering you don't need to do anything; momma hen will do everything else. I always separate the broodys and chicks from the flock. A dog crate or large box will do. Having a broody raise the chicks as nature intended is the best and easiest way to raise babies, if you ask me. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. birdman4259

birdman4259 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2014
    Yeah. I figured it would be the easiest way too. Lots less work for me lol. I was very surprised she sat the entire incubation. She went once before but wouldn't sit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by