First time mother!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Quack1, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Quack1

Quack1 New Egg

Oct 9, 2013
    [​IMG] There is a mother duck that was born in my neighbor hood pond that has laid eggs of her own. I noticed her sitting on the eggs about a week ago. days later I noticed her walking the neighbor hood, and she is no longer sitting on her eggs. I bought a incubator and took two of her eggs. They have been in the incubator for 3 days now, I am unsure if they are alive. So far there is no foul smell. How long should I wait and what signs can I look for to tell if they are surviving? There are 3 male ducks that follow the female duck around and I witnessed them mating months back, so it is possible that the eggs are fertile.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If you've got a strong flashlight, you can try candling them. Shine the light thru the fat end of the egg. You should see veins and probably a wiggly embryo if they are alive.
    How long has she been off the eggs? If its just been a few hours, she'll probably go back to them, if a day or 2 they're probably fine, if more than that they are probably gone.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  3. Quack1

Quack1 New Egg

Oct 9, 2013
    She's been off the eggs for a couple of days. I went back to check every day and she's not sitting on them. I will get a flash light and check. Thanks for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by