First time Mushroom Hunting Look pics......

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by CoopCrazy, Apr 22, 2009.

1. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    My first time hunting ever and I found these... [​IMG]

Kinda sucks this is all I found but first time... So i'm not complaining. Imjust glad to find some......Oh and whats even better is they are in my own backyard.... [​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    what kind are they? not the kind that get ya all loopy are they?

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    [​IMG] Good for you! I always thought would be fun. Can you eat those?

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I am trying to find the site .. I was on earlier they had these on there and said they were just one type of morels.. I am heading to a friends who knows which are safe ans which arent...So we'll see.... All though it would be fun to make a lil special spaghetti with mushrooms [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] : [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i'd love to mushroom hunt..but i dont wanna die..or trip out. how do you know for sure which ones are safe..thats my concern.

6. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    They do look like morels! You're so lucky! We have only gotten papinkys in our yard in recent years. We do find some jalunkys under pine trees, also - they're the ones the deer eat.

7. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I have been researching all day at work today.. i wish I could remember the name.. If you want to hunt just look online for a mushroom hunter club and I can garuntee someone on there would love to mentor... The few i talked to today were really nice and very passionate about shrooms... And I really wont eat them until I know... Lets just say in my younger days i found out the hard way about the other kinds .. It was like [​IMG] [​IMG] then [​IMG] then [​IMG] Not all that fun

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  8. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

9. Quote:LMAO! Yep, that sums up my experience pretty well too!

10. rcbubb

rcbubb New Egg

Apr 21, 2009
    True morels have a hollow stem, False morels have an almost solid stem. Cut them in half long way's to find out. False morels can make you sick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by