First time ordering and confused

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bayerchicks, Dec 2, 2010.

1. bayerchicks

bayerchicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2010
    Tangipahoa Parish
    I knew that Ideal would put some packing peanuts in to help the chicks stay warm but I thought I would be able to easily tell them apart because they would look different than my other chicks.

This is what I ordered:
    3 White only white leghorns Pullets
    2 Buff Orpingtons Pullets
    4 Ameraucana Pullets
    2 Black Sex link pullets
    2 Production Red pullets

So Ideal sent the 2 blacks and the 2 reds. Those were easy to identify. I am pretty sure I also identified the Buff's. My question is the white leghorns, which if I am correct I got 5, including a sick baby (see post in emergencies if you can help) (or maybe I got the 3 and 2 are ameraucanas?), 2 chipmunk looking ones are alive and 2 died, and 9 black and white ones. I assume that the black and white ones with black on the front of the legs are Ameraucana's since I ordered 4 and there are so many.

We used the different boxes to separate them, this is not where they live. I didn't want to get fussed at [​IMG]

What do you guys think?

Chipmunk guys
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Black and White one's (possible ameraucana's?)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess a White Leghorns

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the help! I am so excited. I just don't know what I am going to do when I can tell which ones are roo's. We weren't expecting any and with 4 kids, I don't want my kids to get hurt.

2. Hound

Hound Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    The chipmunks are your Ameraucanas (well they're actually Easter Eggers). The 9 black and white ones are roosters.

3. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    My EE's looked like Chipmuks, with very light pale green legs though! I'm not sure about your black and white ones!

4. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    The black and white ones are probably your packing peanuts: Barred Rock cockrels most likely.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  5. bayerchicks

Nov 12, 2010
    Tangipahoa Parish
    I wanted 4 Ameraucana's [​IMG] I guess I will have to make do with 2. Are the ones that you think roo's good to eat? If so, how many weeks do I wait before I find someone to process them?

6. draye

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Yes, they will be good to eat. When to process them is up to you and how fast they grow. We had some that we had to let go for about 14-16 weeks old, not really sure on the age and they still could have been bigger but we decided to butcher anyway since we we already at it.

ETA: By the way you Ameraucanas are (which Ameraucana breeders are very fond of telling you) really Easter Eggers. To me EE's are more fun anyway. I have 11 hens and 1 rooster. Will be trying to hatch some in the spring time.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  7. bayerchicks

Nov 12, 2010
    Tangipahoa Parish
    If they are BR's, is it possible that they could have pullets mixed in or do they have characteristics now that you can tell which make them male?

8. draye

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Usually when they start displaying their barring you can usually tell, hen will be a little darker (the grayish-black area) than the rooster. After I relooked though I'm not so sure that they are Barred Rock I don't see a dot on their head. Black Australorp? There are many black chicks hatched that color mixed with the whiter that it is hard to tell for sure. Usually you have to wait for the usual signs to tell if they are rooters or not, unless you know how to vent sex. I don't.

9. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    ditto

10. bayerchicks

Nov 12, 2010
    Tangipahoa Parish
    I just read about the dot and they do not have them! I guess I will tell the kids they can't name those, even though they already named one Mohawk since he has a white head with a black streak at the top. I will e-mail Ideal tomorrow since it looks like I lost some of my EE's [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by