First time ordering chicks, what should I expect??

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Keenonf, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Keenonf

Keenonf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2010
    Dallas area
    In the past I have gotten chicks from my local feed store but this year I thought I'd get some silkies and a few cochins. So i ordered some from Ideal and since this is my first time ordering from a hatchery I have no idea what I should expect. So could anyone share their experiences with me? Thanks.

2. Foxhound lady

Foxhound lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    Be prepared to get chicks anytime during the week they are suppose to ship. Mine came a day early and I had to scrabble to get things ready for them.

Call your PO and arrange for them to hold them there instead of delivering (ours gets chicks i swear at least once a week so they know the drill).

Take lots of pictures because people on this board are picture feinds [​IMG]

They are going to come in a small box and their may be packing peanuts typically they are a different color then what you ordered but you can ask Ideal to mark them.

Enjoy!

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    They will email you or give you a call when they have shipped. Then the post office will call you to come pick them up...unless you are on their postal route, then they will deliver them, but then the chicks are bouncing around in a postal truck, so try to pick them up. Ideal will call you again to see that you got them. If you have any questions write them down and ask them when they call.

It was very straight forward and they were wonderful to work with. I think the postal service was glad to get rid of them because of the peeping. All I said when I got there was,"Chicks!" and they pulled me out of line and thrust the box at me like, 'hurry, go, quickly before we lose our minds.'

They hatched on the first, and we had them the morning of the third.

4. Foxhound lady

Foxhound lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    Oh with you being in TX they should be the next day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by