1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

first time ordering online, new breeds coming, I'm nervous!

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by cupman, Aug 16, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I ordered 15 new chicks from MyPetChicken, I am not sure which hatchery they buy from or perhaps multiple but anyways, I bought:

1 Silver Spangled Hamburg
    3 Silver Lakenvelder
    2 Light Brahma
    1 Blue Andalusian
    2 Speckled Sussex
    2 Easter Eggers
    1 White Cochin (got the last one! wouldn't let me order 2 and I reduced it to 1, worked, then it was sold out, whew!)
    1 Naked Neck / Turken
    2 Dark Cornish

They should be arriving on two different dates, 9/6 and 10/17. I have never ordered chickens online before, just gone to the feed stores. They say deaths are rare, I do live in Oregon so the temperatures aren't too crazy warm. Anyone had bad/good experiences with MyPetChicken.com? Anything I should expect? I'm nervous and anxious.

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Awww congrats! I remember my first order (from Ideal) and I was SO excited! I hope you share pictures [​IMG] Good luck on getting them home all safe and sound!

Oh and I have never had one arrive dead through the mail [​IMG] As long as they arrive on time they should be fine [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  3. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    I always let my Post Office know that I'm expecting chicks in the mail and ask them to call me right away when they hear the peeps. I do really mean right away, and they really call me at 3 am to come get them too! I feel like the faster I can get their beaks dipped in the water and food, then get them under the warm light - the better chance I'll have at 100% survival rate.

You'll be fine, the hardest part is counting down the days, LOL

4. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Cool thanks for the reassurance guys. Now I need to get a winter brooder figured out for my new guests. Also gives me an excuse to go build that new coop I have been talking about for the past month.

5. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Wow, what a great assortment of chicks! [​IMG] I love mypetchicken, and am expecting my 4th order from them next week. I did the same as you with your white cochin. I tried to get two Exchequer Leghorns, it wouldn't let me so I changed it to one and it went to sold out! Very excited! Be sure to post pictures. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by