First time out in run

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rexwabbits, Jan 11, 2015.

1. rexwabbits

rexwabbits Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2014
    Lyndon, Kansas
    What is the best way to get your chickens to go out in the run on their own. Yesterday was the first time they were out in the run but we had to chase them out and pick some up and put them out the door, when we had to get them back in the coop we had to chase them near the ramp and pick them up to put them in the coop. We have been told bribing them with treat or using a sheet works well. What else has been done to get your birds to go out? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Patience. Just open the pop door and give them access. When they are ready they will go out. That may be a few minutes, it may be a few days. But eventually they will go out.

3. ChookRanger

ChookRanger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2014
    X2 They will just need to get into a routine.

4. rexwabbits

Oct 15, 2014
    Lyndon, Kansas
    How important is it to cover the run, we have Silver Laced Wyandottes. We have read where the run should be covered with plastic but i have seen some that aren't covered. What is your opinion?

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My run is open on top, because its so large, covering it would be a major expense and pain in the behind!
    I have lost one chicken to a hawk and had to chase another hawk out of my run. Aerial predators are probably the biggest reason folks cover their runs. Some people do it because they show and the sun burns feathers and changes their color. You don't have to do it, but you can if you'd like to :)

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

My run is covered with shade cloth. It's by no means predator proof and it's not intended to be but it keeps birds of prey out and keeps the run a bit cooler in summer.

7. rexwabbits

Oct 15, 2014
    Lyndon, Kansas
    ok, we have a 18' x 14' run and we were asking cus it sounds like a pain in the butt to us to lol.

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

It was actually easy and cheap enough to do but I see you are in Kansas, shade cloth will hold snow and it won't work well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by