First time outside [PICS]

kristen_k

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
Mason City, Nebraska
Well it finally quit raining I think spring has sprung here in central Nebraska . We were able to get the fence put up by the chicken house yesterday, and I think the meaties are enjoying it. I had to put a couple feeders outside to get them to come out. Just thought I would post a couple pics.

Just a quick question, there is crop duster putting herbicide on our pasture thats south of the chicken coop. There is also a slight breeze out of the south, should I be concerned???

89287_dsc00838.jpg

89287_dsc00846.jpg

89287_dsc00839.jpg

Last edited:
Great photos! I sighed when I looked at them. What a beautiful place for a chicken to live it's life. Now I want to visit Nebraska!

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your herbicide question. Perhaps someone does???......

Beautiful birds! Beautiful sky! I can't answer your question about cropdusting, but you can find out what is being used by asking the land owner.

If the breeze is coming from the South you might want to put Meatbirds in until they are done. I don't think it will hurt your birds but, hard to raise organic meat when you have a crop duster going over.
hu.gif

Did you get the fencing from Premier and what size one did you get ? Nice setup ans I love the rolling hills you have..
I dont know about the crop duster..

Thanks for the great comments!!! It feels good knowing I'm raising happy chickens! I went ahead and put them and their feed away when the crop duster was going over. I'm not sure what kind of herbicides they are putting on, I will have to ask my fiance's dad.

I did get the fence from Premier, I got the double spike poultry net plus. It's 100' X 48". (it cost $128.00) I like it since it is easy to move, set up and take down is a breeze. I don't have electricty going through it since I don't have plastic post right now. I don't think i'm going to bother with the electricty this year since they don't try to get through the netting and they like to go in the coop at night.

Im thinking of getting the netting as well thats nice to know that they dont try leaving. I dont have any predator problems so I will probly do the same.

Thanks
Tony

how close is the crop duster? 25 ft? 50 ft? 200 ft? shouldn't be an issue, unless they're literally flying right next to your area.

someone said something about them being organic, but i did not see that stated by you. that would be the only issue i would see, is they wouldn't be organic if you have pesticides/herbicides been spread right next to your plot, and it can drift onto your land.

Back
Top Bottom