First time owner- Molting Question

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by QueenPeppermint, Oct 19, 2013.

1. QueenPeppermint

QueenPeppermint Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    My boy literally landed at my doorstep just over a year ago on a very hot august day. I had always wanted a Pigeon ever since reading the book Wringer as a child. We were not able to find his owners (no band, no interest) so we kept him.

My question is, he seems to molt almost constantly. My living room is covered in little white feathers if I don't vacuum daily. Is this normal? I've determined that he's a white wringneck dove if it makes any difference. He's also been attacked by the **** cat way too many times (three- two minor, one major) and had one grand and one petit mal seizure not long after he came to me.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  2. QueenPeppermint

Mar 10, 2012
    He gets dove feed plus extra millet and sometimes hemp seeds, electrolytes once a week, and grit.

3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    When mine pigeons are going through a moult I some times switch from a laying pellet to a meat builder pellet to give them a bit more protein especially if it is a heavy moult.

4. QueenPeppermint

Mar 10, 2012
    Meatbuilder as in flock builder crumbles? Doves can eat large poultry feed? He is just a pet and I've been told the dove seed mix he's on was enough nutritionally even without the extra millet and hemp...? I should clarify about the molt- it feels like he's been molting consistently for almost the whole year...

5. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I have white homing pigeons. They are large then doves. You are probably right it may be too large a pellet for doves. I do not know much about doves.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by