First time owner of 2 hens, Oakland, CA.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Otownchicks, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Otownchicks

Otownchicks New Egg

Sep 7, 2011
    Hello. I am new to the site and to chickens. I have 2 6 week old (possibly) Ameracauna hens and one has cross beak. I live in Oakland and would love to meet people in the area for support and guidance. Beginning transition to the coop during the daytime, still in house at night. Could use feedback on keeping coop predator safe (already dealing w/rats), tips on cross beak (beyond using deep dish for feeding), etc. Everything is new to me!

2. Amigo

Amigo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Your house!
    [​IMG]

3. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! I have a neighbor that has an EE with a severely crossed beak. Glad to have you here! I would look in the "Where are you? Where am I?" section for a thread on your area. (There is a "sticky" with information on how to find your local thread.)

4. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    [​IMG] from NY

5. SuttonHeritageFarm

SuttonHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Jackson Springs, NC
    First of all, welcome to the BYC family and congrats on getting your first chickens! I had a bantam roo one time that had cross beak. He did just fine with a deep dish and he LOVED watermellon! We lay concreate on the edges of the pens that are on the ground and use hardware cloth or like fencing for good ventilation and protection on windows and vents. So far we have not had any problems with predators getting in.

6. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio! I have not had any predators (besides my own dog [​IMG] ) so I can't help with that. I do know this: crossbeak usually gets worse the older the bird gets, so you may need to prepare yourself to lose your bird sometime in the future. Until then, give her the best life a chicken could wish for! [​IMG]

7. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Too bad about your cross-beak. I've heard of them living normal lives so do your best and let nature take its course. We dug down around the outdoor area of our chicken run and put in 12" of hardware wire. We have foxes and raccoons so really wanted the "girls" to be safe. No problems in 2 1/2 years. But...... I wouldn't trust my two labradoodles with my hens, no way! [​IMG]

8. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

10. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida