First time owner of chicks and in need of some help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CharmingChick, Apr 4, 2012.

1. CharmingChick

CharmingChick New Egg

Apr 4, 2012
    Can someone please help me identify the breed and if possible an educated guess on the gender?
    They are about 2 weeks now. ( there are only two chicks peanut the yellow one and truffle the black one)

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you =)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  2. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Where did you get them from?

3. CharmingChick

CharmingChick New Egg

Apr 4, 2012
    from a teacher who was hatching them for his daughters preschool, not sure where he got it tho

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  4. armdchicken

armdchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    Not sure about the chipmunk looking one, might either be EEs or Ameruacanas (not sure though)....the other is a GLW...it is too early to say what gender they are...

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    The first three could be from a number of breeds (the chipmunk pattern is SUPER common accross multiple breeds, not just EE. The rest of the pictures are of Gold Laced Wyandottes.

6. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Are these pics of 2 different chicks or 6 chicks? Do all of them have beards/muffs (really puffy from right in front of the ear/eye under the chin and back up to the other cheek)?

7. chickenmaniac

chickenmaniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    Arizona
    maybe the first one is a speckled sussex

8. rachel1

rachel1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    Def. not Speckled Sussex, are they single combed? dont think there are any easter egger/americaunas either.......no greyish legs. There are definatel many breeds that have the chipmunk pattern. depending on comb they could be anything from a brown leghorn to a dark cornish.......but definately yellow legged.

9. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    The chick (or chicks) in the first three pics all have beard/muffs. I can't tell if the chick (or chicks) in the last 3 photos does. I think so but I'm not sure. I think they are EE or EE crosses.

10. CharmingChick

CharmingChick New Egg

Apr 4, 2012
    Peanut doesn't really have a comb yet all i can see are very tiny bumps going down towards the beak.
    and they both hatched at the same time and truffle is developing a tail yet peanut hasn't and i've read online that roosters take longer to develop their tail does it mean that peanut could be a rooster?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by