First Time Owners

TheAmundsons

Songster
Mar 11, 2018
Vermillion, SD
Hello! We are looking to be first time chicken owners this summer. Neither of us know anything about raising or caring for chickens, so we are hoping to get that information on here! We will be buying egg laying chicks, but that's all we know! We are also hoping to create a run around our garden so they can help protect against bugs. Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated! :)

Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
:yesss:We are glad you joined our flock.
Jump right in and make yourself at home.
If you look under Articles at the top of this page, there are some helpful thing to read there.
This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Welcome to your new hobby, and prepare for a crash course in “chicken”, daily! Chickens are pros at handing out crash courses, and OMG (chicken did WHAT?) moments! Ha! BYC is truly a life saver. I took up chickens about 3 years ago, and BYC has been an invaluable source of so much information, and an excellent source for support and comfort during those OMG!! moments I mentioned (and that you’ll definitely experience a few of too!)! I find myself here, looking up something, at least once a week. The people here are friendly, truly care about chickens, and are awesome about sharing their knowledge and experiences! Most of the time someone has already experienced what you are currently experiencing, so the answers are here waiting for you- but even if you just need to chat with someone- for reassurance/brainstorming/venting- whatever- someone is right here for you. You’ll be so glad you joined, and the BYC community will be your best partner in this new journey. Hope you both enjoy it! I don’t know what I did to fill the hours- or to entertain myself- before chickens found their way into my reality! They’re a lot of fun.. but there’s also a lot to learn too. Always something to keep your mind, and body busy! Good luck!

How big is your garden? Is it raised beds? Small/big? Do you have the option of "moving" it? Some people put up a coop, with a fenced run on either side of the coop. During the first year, the chickens get the run to the left of the coop, while the run to the right becomes the garden. In the fall, the chickens are allowed into the garden/run to glean and prep the soil for the following season. The second year, the process is reversed, with the chickens using the run to the right, while the garden uses the area to the left.

Or you might consider this option. This is one of my favorite videos:

Then, there is this. this video might revolutionize your gardening method.

https://www.backtoedenfilm.com/

:welcome so glad you have joined us.

Please look for a source of professionally sexed or sex-linked chicks so you will have the best chance of getting gals, assuming you don't need rooster(s).

Spend time in the Learning Center to help you get started.
Decide how many layers you want and then plan for your coop/run size.

And feel free to post questions in the forums, you'll find the folks here happy to help.

I envy that you will be able to build your run around a garden, wish I had known I would fall in love with chickens when I planned my garden and garden shed.

G’Day from down under TheAmundsons :frow Welcome!

How exciting for you! :clap I wish you all the best!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. These two may be of particular interest to you:
Topic of the Week - Getting Started, Keeping Chickens
Topic of the Week - Keeping the Flock Safe from Predators

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom