First Time Pigeon Owner

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by FlaneryFlock, Mar 23, 2013.

1. FlaneryFlock

FlaneryFlock Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2013
    Chesapeake, VA
    I went to a swap this morning looking to sell my turkey, and the man who set up next to me had a dog carrier full of pigeons. I've always been a fan of them, but I've never owned any. So I figured, why not today?
    There was a bunch of white ones and some spotted ones, but I picked up one and it's almost a lavender color. I'm not sure, but as far as I could find on color pages I couldn't find it.
    Could anyone tell me what type he is as well? I'm pretty sure he is a roller.
    He's in a large macaw cage that I've "pigeon pimped" out. I'm about to head out and get true pigeon feed but he's devoured the raw peanuts I had put in there as a welcome home treat.

He is handsome, isn't he. I've named him Frankie.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. elsfieldchickens

elsfieldchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

hes lovely congrats!

3. FlaneryFlock

Mar 2, 2013
    Chesapeake, VA
    Thank you! :D

He's still a little dirty from the other 20 birds that were in the carrier. But there's a shallow pan on the bottom of his cage for whenever he wants to get clean.

4. elsfieldchickens

elsfieldchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

keep us informed about how he dous

5. FlaneryFlock

Mar 2, 2013
    Chesapeake, VA
    So far he's been doing fine. Eating and drinking, still a little wary to go down to the cage bottom.

6. RossH

RossH Out Of The Brooder

Put a flat perch in there to sit on they dont do well on round (they don't roost in trees but on ledges ) also cage looks to small . Do it's wings touch both sides if so can't fly up straight .

7. FlaneryFlock

Mar 2, 2013
    Chesapeake, VA
    I did just put a flat perch in there. The cage is 3' wide and 5' tall. I also put some boards on the bottom with a ramp up to the higher ledge.

8. RossH

RossH Out Of The Brooder

Sounds like you got it covered. Good Luck.
    Ross

9. FlaneryFlock

Mar 2, 2013
    Chesapeake, VA
    Do you know what kind of pigeon he is?

10. RossH

RossH Out Of The Brooder

Sorta looks like a homer but beak not homerish.any band if so what are letters & #s?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by