First Time Post - Sharing Pics of My Coop and the Girls :)

Chickenmeister

In the Brooder
May 2, 2016
Hi everyone,

This is my first post and am happy to be on the site. Incredible resource! I figured for my first post I'd share some pics and the progress of my first ever coop. Any feedback is appreciated as this is my first experience with chickens. After only ten weeks, we are loving it.

Photo 1: This is the coop before staining it. I put the coop on some treated 4x4s to keep it off the ground and hopefully add a little life to it. :)

I also stapled chicken wire to the 4x4s around the entire perimeter approximately 2 feet out. Hopefully this will help with predators wanting to burrow. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Photo 2: This is just a close up of the chicken wire around the perimeter. The wire on the walls of the coop is a lot tighter, as you could see in the photo, in terms of the size of the openings to hopefully help protect against predators. The top of the coop has the same tighter wiring as well.

Photo 3: This is a photo of the completed coop with some of the girls (we hope the are hens) hanging around. I placed some stepping stones and river pebbles around the perimeter of the coop and on top of the chicken wire to hopefully further prevent predators from burrowing. I was told that the buried chicken wire and stones on top should help with predators.

Photo 4: The girls (hopefully they are all hens) like their new home. I decided to go with a sand base in the run and they seem to like it very much so far. I bought a kitty litter scooper and cleaning seems to be fairly easy.

Photo 5: We love to let them roam the yard as often as possible and they seem to enjoy it as well.

Hope you enjoyed the pics. Feel free to share any thoughts, advice, etc.

Best wishes to all.

welcome-byc.gif
Nice looking coop and chickens.

How old are they? They look to be pullets but, in the last photo, the red bird (left) near the pink flowers, looks to be showing more comb . Can't see it well enough to decide if it may be a cockerel in the making.

Could you get a closer photo of just that bird, standing naturally (profile) and a good photo front view of the comb? You can also post photos at "what breed or gender is this?" for more opinions.

You have a very nice coop and set up.

Hi and welcome to BYC. You have a great looking coop and run set-up there. For any critique on what you have done, I'd suggest posting in the "Coops and Runs" section.

All the best
CT

Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it. Here is a picture of the Rhode Island Red in question. I will post in the other section as well as soon as I get a chance. Best wishes.

Forgot to mention, the chickens are 11 weeks old now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom