First Time Poster/Looking for Hot Weather Tips

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DunindiditFarm, Jun 20, 2011.

1. DunindiditFarm

DunindiditFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    Frederick Co., MD
    Hi...although I registered back in April, this is my first time on the forum -- or any forum for that matter. Raised up 15 chicks for the first time this spring - 3 Australorps (one roo), 3 Speckled Sussex, 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 3 Buff Brahmas (one roo), and 3 Partridge Rocks (one roo). I absolutely loved doing it. Great "mental health" therapy. All are doing fine and introduced the first batch to their coop a couple of weeks ago. The second batch is going into a horse stall that we are revamping into a temporary chicken coop until the big coop is finished. I'd welcome some suggestions on ways to keep them cool during the hot days when the heat index goes over 100. Have a tarp over the run, fan running in the coop (that was an experience as far as getting them used to it). I heard of misting with water, but looking for other helpful suggestions.

2. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Welcome:welcome
    Not much you can do, make sure they have plenlty of shade and air circulation maybe box fan, and most importantly plenty of water. Some people freeze bottles of water to drop in gallon water cans. I sometimes wet the dirt with water hose and my hens enjoy laying on that cool dirt...

3. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Ditto on the shade and plenty of cool water for down here in Louisiana. I'm in Slidell and we have been around 96 degrees for days. Check out my new coop on my page and see the fan I rigged up. It helps. good luck

4. jkonkay

jkonkay New Egg

Sep 29, 2010
    I let my chickens out of their chicken yard during the day and they have lots of acreage to visit and lots of shade. I am running a fan in my coop and I put out fresh water in 2 areas every day. HOwever, we've had 1-1/2 weeks of heat over 100 degrees and no rain. Over the last week, I've had 3 chickens die--one I found under my horse trailer and 2 in my coop. I talked to my chicken 'mentor' and she said she hasn't lost any to the heat. Is this normal or is it possible I have other problems?[​IMG]

5. DunindiditFarm

DunindiditFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    Frederick Co., MD
    Quote:Wow! Took a look at your coop and I'm impressed! Very, very nice! Lucky chickens...thanks!

6. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!!

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
  8. LadyAndHerPeeps

LadyAndHerPeeps Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Camden County Georgia
    That is a wonderful set up for your chickens.I Love IT!!!
    Quote:

9. LadyAndHerPeeps

LadyAndHerPeeps Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Camden County Georgia
    [​IMG]

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by