First time processing -- I did 11 (MOSTLY) Roos.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Denninmi, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I've got too many roos. Ok, had. Out of maybe 50 Coturnix, obviously half approximately were roos.

And, while I enjoy the crowing, I was getting fearful that it might bother the neighborhood, especially the 4:00 AM crow-off.

So, I processed some. I did reasonably well sexing -- got 2 hens by accident. I tried to "vent sex" and look for the white foam, as well as observing crowing behavior, but with that many running around, it was kind of hard keeping them straight. 9 out of 11 being roos wasn't too bad, and its not like there is a shortage of Coturnix hens in the world or in my pen.

Total processed weight was 3.1 lbs, including the tiny giblets (yes, tiny, but I wasn't wasting them). I skinned them, seemed a lot easier than plucking, and I cut the wings off past the first joint, since it appeared there wasn't enough meat to worry about on the 2 outer segments. That is roughly 5 ounces each dressed weight.

Will let you know what I think of the meat after I cook some.

2. Mt. Baker Quail

Mt. Baker Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Ferndale, Washington
    [​IMG]

3. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:Oh...you are doing just fine!

A coturnix tastes exactly like a coturnix. Nothing more!

4. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    they are good, i always split them down the back so they open up, pan seared with maybe some garlic and shallot(or onion), deglaze with some red wine and enjoy

5. foursons13

foursons13 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Alaska
    We did our first ones last night also. They are sitting in salt water now waiting for me to figure out how to cook them for my guys tonight. The most wonderful husband in the world actually did the dirty work and I sexed them and brought them to him for the deed.

6. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I threw mine into the freezer. We had company over the weekend, but I had to process my chickens due to the heat, so it was time to do the little quail while I had the mess going. Then, of course, we'll be eating leftovers for 2 more days.

Definitely looking forward to cooking them later this week, even though its going to be close to 100 degrees here, and anything hot may not be appealing -- I'll make an exception for these guys.

7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:cold quail salad sandwiches!

8. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    It must be the moon phase, everyOne processing birds. I did 10 bobs yesterday too. Need to work a lot more of them, but a FATMAN gets hot with a quickness in 100 deg weather!!!! Bill

9. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    In 2 or 3 weeks I'm gonna have a freezer full. I set like 90 eggs and since none of the chicks sold I'm eating quail. [​IMG]

10. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Well that ain't all bad! I like a freezer full of quail...Bill

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by