First time processing, meat is still stiff after 48 rest in fridge

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by quiche, Dec 11, 2012.

1. quiche

quiche Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2012
    I processed for the first time on Sunday. Two of the three birds are flexible and the meat appears to be ready to freeze. The third one was very stiff when I put it in the fridge (about 30 min. after slaughter) and after 48 hours is still not flexible (i.e. I cannot flex the legs to store in a freezer bag. Any idea what happened? Should I let it sit in the fridge longer? The birds were 17 week old cockerels (mixed breed, New Hampshire, and Buff Orp.)

Thanks

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I would let it sit longer. Every once in a while we get one that just takes longer to relax than the others done at the same time. I don't know why.

3. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    I almost always butcher my birds on Wednesdays (just works for me) and I never put them in the freezer before Saturday, and sometimes I'll have one thats still a little stiff yet, so I will wait until Sunday. As long as you keep them very cold they will be fine to let them rest 3-4 days.

4. quiche

Dec 7, 2012
    Great thanks. I was worried that after all the effort I had ruined them. One more question, does brining just improve the flavor or does it also improve the texture? Can I do that step now or should I wait until I'm ready to cooking them?

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The birds can sit in the fridge for a week and still be good (as long as you properly chilled them and used safe meat handling procedures). Your bird just wants to rest a little longer.

They will also "rest" in the freezer. It just slows the process waaay down, so it takes a lot longer while they are frozen.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  6. quiche

Dec 7, 2012
    Thanks for everyone's advice. Sure enough, I tested them today and they were all "well rested" and ready for the freezer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by