Last spring we got 10 chicks to augment our flock of 14 layers. As it turns out, 2 of them were cockerels. We decided to keep them anyway, but two things started to happen. The first is that even though we have 22 girls and 2 boys, they tend to gang up on about 6 or 8 of the girls who stopped laying (probably because they were too stressed out). The other thing is that the coop is just outside our bedroom window and my wife is a light sleeper. She is tired of being awakened at 4:00 in the morning So, we decided to put them in the freezer. I did a lot of research on this site and several others to learn all I could about processing chickens. Well -- today was the day. Considering it was our first time (we've only had chickens for a little over a year), it went OK, but we had two minor issues. I had a hard time finding the correct spot to slit them to bleed them out and the first one took about 10 minutes to go to sleep. The second one was better. It only took about 2 minutes. The other issue we had is because I think the water was not hot enough. The thermometer said 155 degrees, but I discovered later that I forgot to take the protective plastic tip of the thermometer . As a result, the plucking took a lot more work than it should have. My wife is a little squeemish, and didn't want to be around when I processed them. Originally, she said that I would have to do it all myself. However, when I set-up this morning, she came out and told me that she is now a chicken farmer and isn't about to make me do all the dirty work (she's such a sweetheart) She was a real trooper and pitched right in. All in all, it took us about an hour to process the two boys (plus another hour for set-up and clean-up). Now they're in the freezer just waiting for the crock pot.